Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM

Default cumberland river and didymo

diymo has now invaded the cumberland. in one month, reported that in may no didymo found but now in june didymo has been found. most likely transmitted by boat or waders ,
Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Default This is unfortunate.....

This is why it is necessary to clean all your gear before going from one body of water to the next. You never know what pollutants you may carry.

I hate that it has invaded this river. It is all over the Clinch, the South Holston and is being found in other local tailwaters.

I have yet to float the Cumby but hope to in the near future. I float some of these other tailwaters that carry Didymo and always make it a point to wash the hull of my boat with a bleach / degreaser solution before putting in on another body of water. I also wash any boots or waders I may wear.

Didymo thrives in cold cold water and that is why places like the Clinch has it so bad because the water never gets above 60. I am not even sure it ever gets much above 56.

I read where scientists in New Zealand were working with a some sort of copper solution that was having an effect but there were still some other things to work out. Does anybody know anything about this?

Petey

Last edited by Petey; 06-26-2007 at 04:21 PM..
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Solution

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncabb/abb/2006-19/copper

Here's a possible solution no idea on implementations into our streams but I would imagine it comes with a hefty price tag!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm not a chemist so I can't explain the reactions, but on a trip to Brazil, they were also experimenting with copper to remove waterborne pathogens. One of the contras was the effects on water quality and the combination of the copper with the other occurring minerals in the water. In parts of Brazil, the copper was eliminating the pathogens but something was occurring to make an arsenic compound that was destroying the water quality.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 AM

How does it affect the fishery in those tailwaters? I imagine that it would adversely affect the insect reproductive cycle as well as fish reproduction. Does the park have an issue with it as well?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Didymo

I remember that Frank Fiss with TWRA has said it has had no impact on the bugs in the Clinch.. He may offer contrary information if he comments, I really can't speak for him. That is my memory though.
I have seen nothing about this stuff in the magazines, have I just overlooked it?
Best,
John
Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswitow View Post
I have seen nothing about this stuff in the magazines, have I just overlooked it?
Best,
John
John --

The May/June issue of Fly Fish America has an article on Didymo authored by Pete "van" Gytenbeck, Executive Director of the Federation of Fly Fishers. This is not fun stuff. It has practically taken over the Clinch at Miller's Island. It makes nymphing no fun at all since you're having to clean your nymph off every second or third cast. That, and it can make wading even more treacherous!

Here's a link to the FFA mag PDF with the article.

http://www.flyfishamerica.com/images...rica(07-5).pdf

Gerry Romer
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Didymo

It's in the White River in Arkansas too.

sb