Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Trash !

Can anybody explain to me- Why people would leave all their TRASH in such a beautiful place as the GSMNP? This has buged me for years and I still can't come up with a logically answer. puzzled ! slickrock
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Abject stupidity.

Paula
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Angry trash/ people

unfortunately people have a long history of not understanding what they had until they destroyed it, or at least messed it up to the point it can't be repaired to its former state. it is sad but true.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgduckhunter View Post
unfortunately people have a long history of not understanding what they had until they destroyed it, or at least messed it up to the point it can't be repaired to its former state. it is sad but true.

...........Can I use that for my signature? That's pretty much it in a nutshell........'nuff said.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Smile signature

i would be honored.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Trash

That is a shame, I have asked the same question many a time. It seems to be worse in the east and the south. It paints a bad picture for southerners. This is one of the most beautiful places on earth and more trash is thrown out by locals by a long shot than by tourists. Stiff enforced fines would do something to help. Do you ever look down when you're sitting at a stop light? You will usually see hundreds of cigarette butts. The stuff doesn't go away either, just somebody else's problem.
It amazes me how much less of it you see when in places like Yellowstone or Banff.
Keep up the banter though maybe it will have some effect.
Best,
John
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 PM

We've picked up everything from beer cans to NEARLY empty shampoo bottles from the streams this summer - disheartening, but hardly surprising. We've lost a great deal of civility in general in our society, and I wouldn't count on things getting better as the kultursmog becomes coarser and coarser.

Of course, the amount of trash in the park is miniscule compared to the junk on the sides of roads here in Louisiana, pre-Katrina. One place where I liked to launch from had old stoves, fridges, etc all tossed up in the marsh along the one road in to the marina. Now, after the storm, so much crud was washed up, you can't tell what is storm refuse and what is normal garden-variety litter. Of course, we encourage the tourists in the French Quarter, when they're done with their 64 oz go-cup of barley pop, just to chunk it on the ground, the "City that Care Forgot"; the tourists learn quickly from the natives.