Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 AM

Default North River

Would it be worth trading a day of fishing on Little River to go and fish a half a day on North River? Would one's chances good or poor to hook a large Brown on North River this time of year? I can be on Little River in a hour from my house. The trip to North River takes about 3 hours. Just wondering if it would be a good choice for a day... Any input would be helpful...

Thanks,
Bill

John 3:17
Old 08-04-2007, 06:08 PM

well, I'm going to give it a try. I used to fish North River and that area a lot in the late nineties. We had a drought then as we do now and I remember North River getting real warm at the mouth by Tellico River. If you go upstream several miles you will hit higher ground but the creek narrows. I say this time of year is
not prime on North River. Give it a try in late fall/early spring instead. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Hans

Hans,
Thanks for the input on North River. Fished it a couple of times in the 80's.
Do not remember much about it.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Default North River

Ive Seen Monsters Browns And Bows This Time Of Year On The North And The Bald River For That Matter.if You Do Go Get On The River Early The Bite Ends About 9:00.but Get Back On At About 6:00 That Evening.for Sure Hit The Large Pools And North River Campground.the Thing Ive Noticed Is The Large Browns Will Hit On The First Cast Or The Second You Dont Have To Fish One Spot For Any Amount Of Time.even Though I Live In Kingsport Im From Sevier And Used To Fish And Camp The North River Every Weekend.miss It Very Much And Am Very Gealous Of You For Going.oh Yeah Another Point The Holes That Looks Like Nothing Could Be In Them Can Suprize You.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:57 PM

Default wynnsman

wynnsman,
Thanks for the input about North River. I May drive down and fish.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-08-2007, 06:50 PM

I do a little guiding in tellico plains and know most all the water around that part pretty well. September is going to be your best bet, but anytime the creek gets high and theres a really good stain to the water the browns come alive. best of luck to you
Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Thanks oody 3wt

oody,
Thanks for the info. Do you guide on North River? Have you every caught any Browns over 20 inches on this creek? Do I need to use the standard fly patterns that I use in the Park?

Thanks,
Bill

John 3:16
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM

my biggest brown up there was 17inches in high water mid september on a 12 prince nymph I've caught several others over13. standard flys will do the trick just make sure your on the bottom and fish around any timber you can find. And yes i do guide on north.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 PM

The North has fished very well this year. Dry fly fishing has been good pretty much all day and excellent as you get into the evening hours. You'll find mainly wild rainbows with an occasional brown. For large browns, fish early or late. If you're lucky enough to get a storm to put a tinge in the water, you might see a good brown like Oody3wt says.

Fly selection on the North isn't nearly as important as stealth, especially with the water levels being what they are right now. Stay low, low, low and wade carefully. Stimulators, Adams, EHC - any of those should work fine. I'll also use no hackle dries up there on the large, slick pools. Size 12-14 is usually what I use.

Hope this helps. I look forward to reading your report.

Ty
Old 08-14-2007, 09:17 PM

I fished north today and the fishing was not ideal. at 7 am the water temp was 69F and by noon it was 75f.Who knows how high the temp got by 3 or 4. But just like the little river i would lay off until some much needed rain or we have a week or two of cooler temps. It seems like the fish are just trying to survive more than anything else.