Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Call me a bleacher....

Will it ever end

Every year that goes by I hear of more invasive biologicals The first I heard about was Eurasian Milfoil a water weed now in many of our lakes almost turning the lakes into a swamps. Then there was whirling disease, then Zebra mussels, then New Zealand Mud Snails and now the latest invader……Didymo.

Didymo, also known as “rock snot” has the potential of spreading over the entire stream substrate making wading very hazardous. But worse it might choke all the insect population eliminating that forage base for trout.

I wish that I could blame all this on Muslim terrorists but I can’t. All these things are spread by our complacency. I have always asked about the presence various exotic species in the water I fish, but now I think that that is not enough. The person that I ask might be unaware of it’s presence or might think that it is not important, or worst a merchant/guide knowing of potential problems caused by spreading, but financially fearful of fishermen not coming back because of the infestation.

So I am going to become a bleacher… That is I will be carrying a container to soak my boots and waders in a 2% bleach solution for 30 minutes before going to another stream the next day. I know that this will not stop the problem, but…. At least I will be able to sleep at night.

Will You Join Me??

Tom Walsh