Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM

I am becming more and more fond of Flouro...specifically Frogs hair. It also knots well to Frogs Hair mono leaders. Some mono leaders don't take well to flouro it seems. I stick with mono leaders for the floating aspect, and the fact that I may switch from dry to wet/nymph and then back several times on an outing. The only drawback I have found with flouro is that it seems stiffer for a given tippet size. I like the fact that it sinks faster; especially since I fish alot of soft hackles that would otherwise tend to stay on top when I need them to be just under the surface.

AA
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM

For anything under the surface, fluoro is the best. I like to fish a dry fly as an indicator, so I use mono down to the dry and Fluoro for the dropper. When I'm numphing, it's all fluoro. The problem comes when you want to change from nymph to dry to nymph, etc. You have to keep changing tippet, but it's worth the effort.
Another problem is topwater fishing for smallies or 'gills. If you use fluoro with a popper, it sinks too fast and gives the popper poor action. Greasing it doesn't seem to help much. Fluoro is great for a slider and a must for streamers, but it's a pain for poppers.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:10 PM

flouro on the bottom
mono on the top

Grumpy