Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Report from West Prong Little Pigeon

Petecz and I went up to the West Prong of the Little Pigeon today and had a great day of fishing. LOTS of water from the recent rains and many willing, nice sized fish. We each caught 15 for the day with surprisingly few brookies. The bows were the champs today.

Just as we got to our cars, the skies opened up with a really hard rain - all the better to bring some more of those sleepy trout out of their hiding places.

Fish on!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM

That's good to hear. Last Saturday night, the temp was almost 70 degrees, and it looked dead. It looks like the "middle" of the park has received some good rains this week - that's the very area that needs it the most.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Temps

Water temp today stayed around 62 all day. Much better.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-01-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Thanks Charlie

It was great day. The WPLP looked great through the gorge. I had never fished there before, but the water levels seemed to be very close to what would be normal.

The Little River still looks very low. Better, but low. Hopefully the rain will keep coming.

Yellow PAs in 14&16 are still working great.

I may have a short memory, but have yellow PAs always done better than regular PA and Adams for this much of the year? Is yellow the best color for Spring, Summer and Early Fall? Is it always that way? Just wondering...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM

I fished Cosby for about 5 hours last Saturday, and I noticed that the fish wanted something a little on the subtler side...I had started out with the foam body yellow stonefly, but had no takers. I then went to either the yellow PA or a size 18 Mr Rapidan. The next day on Straight Fork, it was yellow PA all the way.

The yellow PA has worked great all Summer...I stopped by LRO on Sunday and bought 2 of each from size 12 - 18...if we're able to make it up there this fall, I'm sure they'll still be hitting them.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:42 PM

Talking Happy Birthday!

ijsouth,

Saw where it's your birthday today. Hope you have a happy one.

Many years of tight lines.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks...celebrating by sleeping in.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Happy B'Day!

Yes, I noticed you've become capable of bi-location!!

Gerry
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Well, sort of...I have the land in Cosby, but right now nothing else; it might be years before I'm in a position to build...however, it's at least a place to pitch a tent. We have visited the Smokies 8 times since last Thanksgiving and, particularly in summer, the motel room rates were killing me. That's what initially gave me the idea to look for some land. Later on, I started to think of the other benefits - a good investment, planning for retirement (my kids never fail to remind me how old I am), even a good spot to evacuate to (if we ever have to again - Katrina was a first). Anyway, as much as we've been up there, I do feel like a semi-native - at least we aren't your normal variety of tourist.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Thumbs up

Nice to hear a good report on water levels and fishing on one of my favorite streams. I hope you'll continue getting some rain in the mountains so that fall fishing will be productive and give the trout some water to get through the winter. I plan on heading that way in a couple of weeks to search for living arrangements somewhere around N. Knoxville. I originally was headed to the Jefferson City area, but a position opened up by Lake Norris, and I felt it was a better fit. Can't wait to be able to fish the mountains more often, I have always had to drive a minimum of 6 hrs. to get there, so I will be able to make day trips and weekend camping trips. Hope the rain keeps happening, and everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.

Neal