Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Default West Prong Little Pigeon 9-7

Fished the upper gorge of the WP of the LP today with sdetoro59. Parked at the Chimney Tops TH and hiked down the road (and through the tunnel - on the ledge - yikes!) to the Nature Exhibit turnoff and dropped down into the gorge from there. The water temp was 64 at 9am (and at 3pm). The water level has dropped down again from where it was last Friday. Still fishable, but about 6-8 inches lower than last week.

The fishing was also slower than last weekend. I caught less than 20 and most where in the 6-8 inch range, with a nice 10" rainbow mixed in. Most of the fish were caught on a #12 Yellow Stimi in fast water. The pools were very slow and not as productive. Yellow PAs and EHC also caught a few fish for my partner, who caught more fish, although most were a bit smaller

We thought we could fish the upper half back to the Chimney Tops TH in 3 hours, but it ended up taking 6. A lot of boulder crawling...

I've really started to make a conscious effort to pick up trash as I'm fishing. Not because its a good thing to do, but because each time I pick up a piece of litter, I seem to catch 2-3 fish within the next 5 mins. Superstitious... Probably...but I should have most of the LP cleaned up within the next few weeks....Now if I could only quit my job and focus more time on fishing...and litter removal.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up Good Job

Hello Pete,

Looks like you have been hooked on that section of the W. Prong as well, Hans and myself have been hooked for quite a few years. It does wear me out more as I get older, but there is some great water in that stretch. I used to be able to crawl up the boulders much easier when I was in my late 30's and early 40's, but I still enjoy the solitude. I hope the streams come up some for the fall season since I will be moving to East TN in 3-4 weeks. Maybe we can team up some time after that and give the Gorge a whirl, maybe even Hans might be be persuaded to tag along, although I am afraid he will be obsessed with watching football on the weekends, LOL.

Have fun, and keep up the good reports.

Neal
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post

I've really started to make a conscious effort to pick up trash as I'm fishing.
Well, regardless of the motivation, good for you...sadly, it's needed. Every time we come up to the mountains to fish, we end up picking up several pieces of trash - mostly beer cans. One time on Cosby, my oldest daughter found two almost-empty bottles of shampoo, right in the middle of the stream. It does make you wonder what people are thinking, or not thinking.

I really like the West Prong - the last time I was up, a few weeks ago, it was too warm to fish, but I still have some scars on the legs from the last time I fished it, and that was over a month ago. It's worth it, though - I caught my biggest wild trout there this summer, so I don't mind the climbing and the slipping involved.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Sounds like you had a good time! I've fished that stretch several times...definitely a fun place to fish. Gotta watch out for the boulders though. I banged up one of my Battenkill reels (enough so it didn't want to spin anymore) up in there one time, almost busted my leg in the process...that's a good area to stay away from really. I would even recommend that everyone else stay away due to the dangers there...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Note to Pineman19

Pineman,

John Starks has some posts on Last Weekend in September thread and has questions about fishing in the Reservation on the NC side of the mountains. As I recall, you have some experience on that side. Mind taking a jump over to that thread and answer his questions?

Pete,

I'm envious. Seems like no matter what the intentions are, that stretch is a 6 hour trek at least. I spent the day taking care of chores and errands but hope to be back on the river soon. Keep up the good work and I'll see you up on the WP.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Pineman, your are right sir. I will stay in tonight to watch the game. Just kidding, I'm sitting here right now contemplating on where to go this evening.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Housing Search Trip

Hey Hans,

I will be heading east next Wed. evening to search for a place to live. Plan on spending Thursday thru Sunday and maybe Monday as well. The first couple of days will be spent looking for housing, maybe sat. as well, depending how things go. If you twist my arm I may be convinced to do some fishing in the Smokies since it's cooler, hopefully you'll get a little more rain by next weekend. Let me know if wanna fling some flies.

Neal
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Fishing Time in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Maybe we can team up some time after that and give the Gorge a whirl, maybe even Hans might be be persuaded to tag along, although I am afraid he will be obsessed with watching football on the weekends, LOL.
I look forward to it! Let me know when you are in the area. Hopefully we will get some rain soon...

Pete