Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Exclamation Did I get charged for my license

Just curious if anyone else is running into this. I have rec'd a letter and phone call from TWRA regarding my fishing license. I purchased it back in March and now I am being told through some foul up my card was never charged and they want my card number again so they charge it. I haven't given them the info yet because I want to confirm with the credit card company that I never was charged. I don't mind paying if I owe it but this sure seems odd. Especially since it has been since March.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 AM

I would go to a TWRA office in person to clear that up...something "smells" kinda funny...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Hi Housier,

Did you buy your license online? I assume you did. If you didn't get charged they probably found out through an internal audit. You can go to their website (Google TWRA) and get a phone number from their list and call one of the management offices. I've called TWRA in Nashville about other issues twice in the last couple of days and they answer the phone, none of that voice mail stuff.

Byron
Old 09-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Thanks Byron I'll call since I am out of state.

Yes I did order online. I got a liitle more info today when I called the folks that left me a message. Turns out it is a company called ALS (Automated License Service?). They handle online ordering services for TWRA, Colorado, and I think she said Arizona. I got a bit miffed at her because she was incredibly rude. When I first spoke she started in about wanting my SS# and credit card. I laughed and told I didn't even know who exactly she was. She finally stated that she was the collection arm of ALS working on behalf of TWRA. I asked what she wanted and she stated that I owed them $83 for my fishing license. I explained that I paid when I ordered it with my credit card and as a matter of fact they sent me a confirmation when it went through. Then a few days later in the mail I received my license. She forcibly stated they had not been paid. I went through it again and I asked why they were just getting around to it now, this is 7 months later. She reluctantly advised me that there was a computer error with their company for several license purchases in TN, CO, and AZ I think. So we got down to the nitty gritty and I was like so it is your all's fault not mine. She started pushing that she wanted my credit card number again and I told her no not until I check into it further. Like I said, if I owe it I'll square up but sure does frost me when it was obviously their screw up and then they try to strong arm me. What ever happen to "Hey sorry to bother you but we messed up can you help us out here." I think I will let TWRA know about it for sure. I usually just fish the Smokey's when I am in TN so I am seriously thinking about getting a NC license next year. If I go with a TN license I will probably just get it in person. Thanks again. You guys run a great shop. They could learn from you.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM

You better check that out in person! No way in heck, I'd give my number out to someone that calls when I can verify it simpily by calling or walking into a local office of TWRA.

With all of the internet scams going on, one all ways has to be careful.

Keep us posted.

Greg
Old 09-09-2007, 03:11 PM

I ran into the same thing with my Archery license. I bought the license online in march, and got a comfirmation letter and the license a week later. Never even checked my checking account. Last week (three weeks before deer season opens) they call me up and tell me I have a collection of 37 dollars due, and that I could go ahead and pay them now. I just told them to send me a bill. Meanwhile, I looked it up and they did not ever charge my account. She did waive the internet processing fee, and luckily got in contact with me before I was out hunting with a lisence that wasn't valid. Anyhow, I think I'll buy the next one in person.

Byron and Paula,
Do you sell hunting lisences too? You should, I know myself and a few others who would definetly by our Sportsmans from you next year, rather than wally world.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Ahh..the old saying fits this well.

CASH in person is KING with a receipt of course..

Greg
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

patillac, LRO sells every license available from TWRA. We will happily sell you your licenses over the phone and mail them to you, or just come by...we sell a ton of them. This is a service to you that we offer with pleasure.

The licenses are sold through a computer system that is administered by ALS. That said, I would certainly go with caution (as you have, Hoosier) to determine if your credit card was properly charged when you purchased your license. It is never, ever wise to give credit card/ss number information to ANYONE calling you on the phone...so, good for you for not doing so. I am puzzled why they would need your social security number or twra number or credit card info if they were legit, because they should have that in their system already

Please keep us posted.

Paula
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM

What license?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Air on the side of caution!

Paula is absolutely right! That's how identity theft get's going! I'm not one to say break the law here but If TWRA messed up and you have a "in your hand" license then I wouldn't worry about their mistake. Is it on your credit report? That's one way to find out...but I honestly don't think that TWRA would use a collection company to recover lost monies. Any government entity would go with a mailing first to address the problem. After all unless you've moved they have all of your pertanent information anywho! Any TWRA official checking licenses wouldn't know your license was invalid any way! So from my stand point I appreciate your honesty in the matter. I'd fish on it the rest of the year, what's left of it, and pay cash for mine through LRO next year! Besides you don't even know if your license is really valid or not!? I wouldn't give that company a spec of your info and secondly I wouldn't worry my self with it...But again I commend you for being so honest about it! Breath of fresh air!

As for Flyman...Dude you rock! I'm still laughing. That was a Grumpy comment if I've ever seen one....Speaking of where'd he go?

Brett