Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 09-23-2007, 11:47 PM

So, here's my plan:

I'm coming back home in a week and a half for fall break. I'll be in for about five days and one of those days I'm gonna swing by LRO and see if I can't get an idea as to what I'm gonna need.

Then, the Jan. 5 beginners class is set up perfect for a Jan. 4 b-day present.

Thanks for the responses on this. I'll be making a run through Townsend in a about two weeks. See ya then.

Ben
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

How much of an investment would it be to get started? You can ball park it.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM

bc,

I can't answer that for you. I've never really done much more than just browse through the fly tying material sections at fly shops. Hopefully someone can give an estimate.

Ben
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 AM

the investment would vary depending on many factors, mainly how much you want to spend on a vise. for basic fly tying, the vise just needs to hold the hook, and there are some decent low priced vises that will do that very well. you also need a bobbin or two. get one that is ceramic tipped. LRO sells a "beginner" bobbin for about $6, which is ceramic. I don't know what's beginner about it, as I actually prefer it to the other $20 bobbins I own. you also need scissors, hair stacker, hackle pliers, and a few other little gadgets you may or may not use right off the bat. you can usually buy a pack that contains all these tools.

as far as materials, just pick a few flies you want to tie and buy the materials needed for them. If you buy a bunch of materials up front, it could be very costly. you should be able to get started for maybe $100. and then just buy extra materials and tools as you need them. what will likely happen, if you're like me, is you'll buy a couple little things everytime you visit the flyshop, spending just a few dollars here and there. within a few months, you'll look at all the materials you have amassed and think, "how did I buy all this stuff?"

again, the LRO class is well worth the investment, if you can take it. something else of great value (and free) are the winter fly tying demonstrations at LRO. I went to almost every one last year, picked the tyer's brains, and learned a great deal.

also, please know that learning to tie is not near as hard as it may seem. it's much like fly fishing, in that it seems like alot to learn up front, but once you learn it, you realize it's not so difficult. It's also like fly fishing, in that you can always learn more or improve. I'm no expert tyer, I'm not even a good tyer, but I can tie flies and catch fish on them, and I enjoy it.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM

hey Trevor........the new class dates are posted with the intermediate in January 08 and the advanced in Feb 08.....are you concidering any of them?
I believe I am going to try and make both classes.....and may even try to slip into a popper's class if they have one......

gotta call LRO today and get my name on the list......

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13