Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Default need advice

I guess this would be the place for this one..... Has anyone on here ever used a pair of oars on a full size jon boat. I have a 16' Big jon with a 25hp outboard. There are mounts for a pair of oarlocks on the gunnels. I have never thought about using oars on the boat before, but now I may have the need. May be going to the White river in Arkansas next week. They have been generating most of the day. This may change as we get some cooler weather in here. Rather than using a shuttle between access points, I'm wanting to put in at one point, drift the river, and motor back up. Just wanting to know if anyone on here has ever used oars on a big aluminum boat. Would like to try some before I actually invested money in a pair.

Tightlines,
mstone
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM

I was just thinking the same thing too. I just got a new 16' Lowe boat and it has the place for oar locks too. I was thinking about making a few float trips with it sometime if there are any safe places to drift with a big 16' boat. I manly got the boat to duck hunt out of and will be building a removeable blind so I can fish out of it also.

after new paint....the paint is darker than the photos show

Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Yep, thats like mine except I have the semi-v hull. It's been a great boat....fished and hunted out of it for many years. Now I want it to do one more thing.....float a trout river. Actually, I believe the White river would be the only river I float. Looked at some oars today, some seven footers. Not sure if that would be the right length.
mstone
Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 PM

My dad picked this boat up from a coworker. When he got it there was probably about three inches of dirt on the bottom and another foot and a half of leaves and sticks. The last set of boat registration numbers was from 95' so it had been sitting awhile. He took it home and shoveled the stuff out and then spent $10 at the car wash cleaning it out. The guy just gave the boat and trailer to my dad because he was sick of it sitting in his yard. This coming weekend I'm going home and cutting the seats out of it and building a floor and gun/rod boxes for it. It should make it look like a completely different boat.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 PM

I finally got the bench seats out and transom repaired this past weekend. The boxes in the back on the left side looking from the front will hold the batteries. I am putting a switch panel on the side of the box and hopefull the overhang will help sheild and protect it from the weather. I am going to have one battery to run the lights and bilge pump and a deep cycle battery to run the trolling motor. I cant decide if I want to put the gas tank in the other box or just leave it in the middle. It really isnt in the way right now so I just might leave it.
The trolling motor I picked up here in knox out of the paper. Its going to work great but have to figure out where to mount it so it wont get in the way of the blind that I am still going to build. I ran the motor Sunday at our house on the river and it starts on the second or third pull every time. This motor pushes me alone in the boat pretty good, but add another person and it really slows down. Not bad if you arent in a real hurry to get where your going.
Overall I am really happy with the way it turned out for my first big building project. Now I am ready to hit some local waters before it turns cold. I would like to float the Clinch for trout and the South Holston for smallmouth. Do you guys think this boat will handle both rivers alright and can you give me some advice on where to put in. From what I have been studying, I can put in at Millers Island and float allday until I come out at the ramp close to the interstate or highway (i cant remember which one) as long as they are running two generators. Can someone give me some other ideas about some possible float trips.

Troutman,
If you are up for it, I'm willing to try any suggestions for some smallmouth action if you want to?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM

MM135, Hey nice boat! I've been out of the loop for a few days and just now read your post. If you have the boat up here in the K-town area, I would run up the Holston river and float back or maybe put in below Douglas dam and fish the French broad for smallies and striped bass. Just don't lock the motor down, lots of shoals and under water logs will damage the skeg and prop. Now for some real fun, put in at the Navy/Marine center launch and run upstream to Calhouns area for some topwater Carp'n.