Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Abrams

Hello all,

Wife and I are probably going to do the horseshoe on Abrams this Sunday while car camping Saturday and Sunday nights at a nearby campground. I was wondering if anyone had fished it lately, and how you did? Also, are the campgrounds all crowded yet with the Leaf Watchers? It has been years since I fished that stretch.

I know the water is low, and that the fishing may not be good. If it is really bad we may just go hiking instead. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Haven't been there lately - not so much of the drought, but work obligations...though some friends hiked last weekend said the water was really low...can only assume too low - may cause more stress on the fish as everyone is mindful of, but if you had to wet a line, try the spring section where temps should be cooler, albeit even skinnier and gin clear water make it tougher...supposedly we have some rain coming Thur and may be a decent soaker to help out conditions, while it won't be enough to give us a reversal on the drought, it may give you a better shot at some fish by time you get there.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Thank you for the info, Waterborn. Yeah, we may skip it if no rain sticks. Although the temperatures should be quite nice (for the fish too), with a high of about 75 in Townsend on Sunday. Hopefully some of that rain off to the west will make it to the Smokies.