Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Hybrids?

In marktronic's post "Upper Deep Creek" there are pictures of some brookies that have a distinct vertical stripe that looks very much like the patern on wild rainbows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9171401...57602225521443
I have seen a reference in another post to a "tiger" that was a bow/brookie cross. Is this what that other post was referring to? I've never seen that vertical pattern on any of the brookies I have caught and was just curious.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 AM

The dark vertical "striping" you see are called "parr marks." They are characteristic of immature or juvenile trout, but often can be seen on larger specimens. They will appear on rainbows, browns and brook trout, and although I am unfamilar with western U. S. species, probably on those as well. A tiger trout is a brook/brown cross and has a wormy coloration of green-blue to olive, much like the coloration and pattern seen on the very top part of mature brook trout.

http://www.fisherie.com/wetwaterguid...tigertrout.htm

Adding:

File this under "more than I wanted to know:"

Parr

From LoveToKnow 1911

PARR, a name originally applied to the small Salmonoids abundant in British rivers, which were for a long time considered to constitute a distinct species of fish (Salmo salmulus). They possess the broad head, short snout and large eye characteristic of young Salmonoids, and are ornamented on the sides of the body and tail with about eleven or more broad dark cross-bars, the so-called parr-marks. However, John Shaw proved, by experiment, that these fishes represent merely the first stage of growth of the salmon, before it assumes, at an age of one or two years, and when about six inches long, the silvery smolt-dress preparatory to its first migration to the sea. The parr-marks are produced by a deposit of black pigment in the skin, and appear very soon after the exclusion of the fish from the egg; they are still visible for some time below the new coat of scales of the smolt-stage, but have entirely disappeared on the first return of the young salmon from the sea. Although the juvenile condition of the parr is now universally admitted, it is a remarkable fact that many male parr, from 7 to 8 inches long, have their sexual organs fully developed, and that their milt has all the fertilizing properties of the seminal fluid of a full-grown and sexually matured salmon. On the other hand, no female parr has ever been obtained with mature ova. Not only the salmon, but also the other species of Salmo, the grayling, and probably also the Coregoni, pass through a parr-stage of growth. The young of all these fishes are barred, the salmon having generally eleven or more bars, and the parr of the migratory trout from nine to ten, or two or three more than the river-trout. In some of the small races or species of river-trout the parr-marks are retained throughout life, but subject to changes in intensity of colour.

Last edited by Jack M.; 10-04-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Much Appreciated

Jack,

Many thanks. Great explanation. I had also heard of the term parr marks but was unfamiliar with that as well. Learning something everytime I log on.

Thanks again!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com