Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Need help finding gaintfish first trout on a fly.

I have hard time myself catching trout in skinny water. I realy want Gaintfish to catch one. He tried hard last time and had a few on nothing came to hand. Where do you all suggest I try next weekend. Camping at Elkmont and I have taken off friday and monday so I have plenty of time. should I drive over to the NC side? I personaly I have only fished from little bottoms one time with very little luck. the other streams I know nothing about. I know the TN side fairly well. Little help please. Email me vernonkofc@comcast.net if you don't want to post the information.

Last edited by Vern; 10-13-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Vern, I tried to send an email to that address and for some reason it won't work. Send me an email (you can find my address on my profile over on my blog) and I'll give you a few ideas...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Same problem w/ your email

My son and I have just started fly fishing this year. I have been to the Smokies many times since the first of May but my son went with me for only the third time fly fishing yesterday. We went to the West Prong of the Little Pigeon below the Chimneys trailhead. Water was skinny but still some good pools. My son caught five rainbows in about three hours. He has pretty good fishing instincts (we have fished for a long time with spinning rigs) but, as I said, this was just his third time with a fly rod. I have had consistent success on the West Prong all summer long and yesterday was no exception. Air temperature was around 43 when we first started and water temp stayed around 53 the whole day so it was cool but the fish were biting.

I have some favorite jumping in points on the West Prong if you are interested. Just let me know at bartonca@hotmail.com

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Have you considered?

The possibility of fishing closer in town where there might be some stockers? I'm not sure if Townsend or Gatlinburg have continued to stock with the drought, but if so this would be a bit easier than trying for wild or streamborn trout.

If that is not an option, I suggest trying Metcalf Bottoms area, but watch out for snakes.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 PM

I tried to email, too...shoot me an email at ijsouth@yahoo.com - if you're interested in the N.C. side.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Hello Vern,

You may want to consider the Quiet Walkways that lead to the W. Prong of the Little Pigeon off Newfound Gap Rd. They start above the Sugarlands visitor center and end at Chimneys Picnic Area. There is some good water in that stretch and usually not much of a crowd once you get a little ways away from the road.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 10-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I could be wrong here, but I think Vern left an "r" out of his email addy. You might try vernonkofc@comcast.net Maybe that'll go thru...

Gerry
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I also think Elkmont and Metcalf could still be a little thin and crowded if you're not up to hiking in. From what I hear, the West Prong of the Little Pigeon is fishing pretty good. Head over toward the Sugarlands center, hang a right and pull off at a "Quiet Walkway". The hike in is pretty easy, the stream access is good and I've had good luck there. I'm thinking about hitting it somewhere below the Chimneys picnic area Sunday morning myself.

Good Luck, Giantfish!!

Gerry
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Brookie Waters

Vern, I would suggest trying one of the streams that have Brookies in them. They seem a lot more aggressive with strikes and a lot less picky about flies/presentation than Rainbows and Browns. You'd have to do some hiking to get to most of the better Brookie streams, unless you fish along 441 on Walker Camp Prong. I was up that way this week and the water looks pretty skinny, but it should be ok above the Chimney Tops Trailhead and above the Alum Cave Trailhead.

I have a few other favorites. Email me at petecz@charter.net if you want some others. I agree with Gerry, Metcalf and the LR are way too low right now. It would be tough to find any fish...
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Can't spell my own name. I know I have a spelling problem but that is sad Vernonkofc@comcast.net