Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Parsons Branch Road Open

Just checked the GSMNP website and Parsons branch is no longer lsited as closed. Can anyone confirm this? If so it gives me a nice short cut home.

Also I'd like to know if it opens any new water that was previously difficult to reach.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 PM

It should be open, I have fished Parsons's Branch over there but with this drought it would be no use since it is a small creek to begin with. Forge creek is another one but I don't think it is worth the drive right now. The road is normally closed in winter also. I can't remember if it closes Nov 30 or not but it should be posted on the park's website.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

it's been open about 2 weeks
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I drove the Parson's Branch Road out of the cove two weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful forest. The road is in great shape now. Probably don't need 4-wheel drive as long as it's dry (as if it would ever rain!). Eight mile trip total. Unfortunately the creek was almost non-existent in many places. It MAY be fishable over the last half mile or so. I would be tempted to park at the end of the road and walk up rather than fighting traffic through Cades Cove as only the very last section of the creek could even be considered as fishable. Watch out for the speed traps coming off the Dragon.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Thanks!

I was afraid the drought would impact the steams this way. Oh well.

Don't worry about the troopers or Sheriff generating revenue from me. I live on the Dragon in Creekside. With all the crazy #@$%^ that I see, I am well within the limit.

Every weekend we wake to sirens. W don't pay too much attention until we hear the Life Flight choppers coming in and then it's time pause for a prayer. Something really needs to be done about the carnage. I have suggested making it a toll. If nothing else it will help defray the $$$ in emergency services and police expenses that Blount iCounty incurs as a result of these morons.

Last time I fished Chilhowee and was coming back I was passed on two different occasions by crotch rockets on one wheel. One of them was in a curve. And I was about 4 mph over the speed limit trying to keep them from committing suicide unti they hit a clear passing zone..........

By the way, it's Fall Festival time in Maryville. The usual stuff as far as crafts go however Big & Rich will be playing Sunday night. I'm 50 and I WILL catch that show. More of an event than a concert.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwindon View Post
however Big & Rich will be playing Sunday night. I'm 50 and I WILL catch that show. More of an event than a concert.
Well, if you're planning on going Sunday you'll have already missed them since they're headlining Saturday I think. Sunday should be Sara Evans though so you'll still be okay.

Gerry
Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Forge Creek: When I was there a few weeks ago, where it dumps into Abrams, I couldn't believe that fish could survive in it, it was so low. I'm sure they are holding on in some pools, but it was basically a moist ditch.

Jdwindon, I assume that The Dragon is a name for HW 129 between Calderwood and Cheoah Lake? If so, then that is the most dangerous strip of road I have ever seen in the U.S. About 5 years ago, we were passed by 4 bikes that were probably doing 70 in a 35 that went between us and the oncoming cars, riding straight up the double yellow. I have never seen that kind of behavior anywhere else. And we were simply passed on the double yellow, on blind curves, too many times to count. And that's with me doing my usual 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. They often seemed to be doing maybe 60 or so. I can easily believe that you hear sirens and life flights all weekend long if you live near there. What a mess. BTW, where is Creekside?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Yeah... that's the Dragon.

Creekside??

Just crazy bikers....

Gerry
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Creekside & The Dragon

Creekside is a gated subdivision 6 miles east of the 129 & 411 junction south of Maryville. It's entrance is about 200 yards east of the intersection of Indian Warpath & 129. 129 is sometimes called the Tail of the Dragon, or to locals just The Dragon.

The bikers have an insane contingent that seem to mostly be on the Ninja's. This group seems to think that they, like Keith Richards, cannot die and want to prove it each turn. Most of them are just out for a challenge and a beautiful ride. It's the one percent that leave carnage behind along with hair, teeth, eyeballs and an inflated tax bill fo rme to pay for air flights, police, ambulances and hospital bills. Not to mention traffice jams, etc.

I had my days backwards on the Big & Rich. show and might have missed it if not for Momma! I guess my memory banks have begun to fail Must be the 50 thing........

Gonna skip Sarah Evans but Cherrrholmes is worth a trip.

Gerry, did you catch the show? It was a bit chilly but worth it.

Headed to Parsons Branch in 5 minutes. I'll bring the rod but might mot wet the line if the H2O is that low.