Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Barbara,
Sitting here looking out of my office window at the grey concrete and red brick buildings of downtown Cincinnati Ohio is not helping a lot either.

Jeff,

Isn't it a shame there are no trout streams in the city?!? However, I did read an article that one of the cities in Idaho has a trout stream within the city limits. We just need to move west or to Townsend.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 AM

evidently I misunderstood your quest.. if you have the summer off by all means explore all of MT but to get max wade fishing within a compact area and don't want to be driving endlessly or worrying about access I still stand by the park. Next summer when I drive (will be retired by next summer) I'm expecting to go to Denver make the loop down to Durango and then work my way to the Yellowstone and then on to Portland to visit some relatives. My Grandfather drove the alcan highway back in '59 and I'm considering doing it myself. It will be me, 2 german shorthair pointers, shotguns and fishing equip.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Default reply

Fish the Firehole--it is kind of surreal---West Yellowstone is a great place to stay---it is close to the madison River--Hang out for a while at the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop--The Timberline cafe has burgers and fries to kill for---The mystery of Yellowstone is hard to explain to those who have not been there----that place will get hold of you and won't let go----pacific creek and nez p. creek are great streams in the Tetons--makes me want to head west----
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I have probably looked at your pictures 100 times now. I love seeing pictures from home. Thank you for sharing.

My wife and I spent a week touring Yellowstone during our honeymoon two years ago. Being from Montana and into the outdoors, I had been there many times. She is also a Montana native but had never been. Her eyes were popping out of her head the entire trip. That area is truely magical.

I think I have posted this before but ... I also recommend taking time and driving over to the Wyoming side of the park to visit Jackson WY. If you do go eat at the Cadillac Grill, have a beer at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar and stay at the Inn on the Creek B&B. Can't go wrong with those 3. The Cowboy Bar is GOOD TIMES!

Thanks again for the pictures!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Isn't it a shame there are no trout streams in the city?!? However, I did read an article that one of the cities in Idaho has a trout stream within the city limits. We just need to move west or to Townsend.
I'm afraid if there were a trout stream flowing through town, I'd get fired from my job for all of the 8 hour lunches I'd be taking.

In fact, I played hookie from work today, drove about an hour north of Cincinnati to Brookville, Indiana and fished the tailwaters. I managed to land 6 nice browns with the largest at 16" the rest were in the 12-14" range. It was good to get away from the office for a while.

Even though they are trout, it's nothing like the Yellowstone country. My wife and I have been there 4 times and like someone else said, it really gets into you. I spend a lot of my time thinking about the next time we will go. I even keep West Yellowstone, Gardner Mt., and Cody, WY on my weather channel favorites (3" of snow in West Yellowstone today).

My wife and I have talked about volunteering in the park during the summers after we retire.

Thanks again for posing your Montana pictures. It did my soul good to see them.

That country is so beautiful, I honestly think God made it just so He could sit back and look at it.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM

oops, I hit the submit button twice. Sorry

Last edited by jeffnles1; 10-05-2007 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: duplicate, hit send button twice.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM

Default German short hair

Bullwinkle,

After our beagle died, my husband vowed he would not have another dog, just too hard to lose them. Well....now we have a german short haired pointer and she is probably the best dog we have ever had. She has not been trained to hunt but she knows she should find birds so she stalks the bird feeders and generally terrorizes every bird in the yard.

Do you hunt your dogs?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Default next year

To everybody with suggestions on places to go:

I am keeping all the places you suggested. If we are able, we intend to go back next year. I would like to go for 2 weeks and try the Wyoming side of Yellowstone as well as Montana. Really I would like to spend a month just going different places to fish. I can tell from the posts that there are hundreds of great places in and around Yellowstone to enjoy.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum
Default Mt

Barbara,

Another thing to do on your next visit to the Helena area is to visit Holter Lake. Holter Lake is basically two lakes (upper and lower Holter) connected by a skinny long section of lake (its hard to describe). You can take a boat tour from the upper lake to the lower lake and when you are boating through the "skinny" section (probably 5 or 10 miles), the mountains around you look like they are opening and closing like gates, hence the name of the area being "Gates of the Mountains". One of the most beautiful places in the world IMO. I spent many weekends walleye fishing those waters with my dad.

http://www.gatesofthemountains.com/

Right below Holter Dam you can get into some serious trout fishing. They pull hogs out of that tailwater all-day every-day.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Bullwinkle,

After our beagle died, my husband vowed he would not have another dog, just too hard to lose them. Well....now we have a german short haired pointer and she is probably the best dog we have ever had. She has not been trained to hunt but she knows she should find birds so she stalks the bird feeders and generally terrorizes every bird in the yard.

Do you hunt your dogs?

Both the boys are from the local rescue group and both hunt.. being from central ohio the bird hunting is sad but 3 or 4 times each fall I will pay to hunt planted birds on a preserve. On our fall trip to fish up in Grayling I humor them and go grouse hunting. I suspect they wish I was a better shot. They have hunted Phez a couple of times in SD. Most GSP require little training they seem to know to point and retrieve.