Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Default camo clothing

With Byrons report on stealth during this time, I was wondering how many fly fishermen wear camo clothing when fishing the Smokies. I try to wear earth tone solids in either green or tan. I have been tempted to wear full blown camo. I am a little concerned how the general public would precieve me wearing hunting clothes in the park.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM

I don't think I freaked anyone out this spring. Compared to the "best dressed" I probably looked a bit shabby but I was not dressing for them.

I am a firm believer in camo. With the right wind, I have had deer walk within bayonet range of me.

I have yet to eyeball it from under the water, but I 'spect it is just as effective. Not that you could stand in front of the Sun and do jumping-jacks mind you, camo is just another tool, not a substitute for good habits.

Break up your silhouette is the idea, solid earthtone colors are good but can still leave you looking human.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM

I generally wear a camo shirt, and shorts in earth tones - anything to give you an edge. As for the reaction of the general public in the park to camo clothes - who cares? I try to avoid the throngs anyway.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Default camo

I don't think the camo. will bother civilians,it's the bayonet between the teeth and the little limbs and twigs taped to you cap that will bother them the most,,,and for the gosh sakes don't put that black stuff on your face,and whatever you do walk don't crawl.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Camo is great and absolutely necessary for some pursuits, like ducks and turkeys. Despite what Cabela's would like you to believe, it is helpful for deer but not necessary. If the wind was right and he wasn't moving, I bet those deer would have walked right past Marvin even if he was wearing cut offs and a Vols jersey. Scent and movement is primarily what is going to bust you in the deer woods- though I have had deer see me a few times when I wasn't moving and the wind was good.
Along a trout stream, the thing that will do you in first and foremost is sound produced in the water (often through the bank). And after that shapes and movement. This includes shadows cast on the water, heads sticking over banks, the ends of fly rods false casting over a long pool, etc.
I often wear camo fishing but that's because half of my closet is camo clothing. And by closet I mean the big pile of clothes on the floor. I always wear subdued tones. I walk soflty along the bank. I try to stay low and downstream when I must approach close, and I alway keep something to my back. I am constantly suprised at how much I can get away with if I have a bush, a tree, or a boulder behind me, hiding my movement and silhouette.
As far as what people in the park think: How will they see you if you are cammied up? (little smiley face to show that I am ending on a humourous note)
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Guess I'll have to rethink my bright red mini-skirt and thong. Oops, he said avoid the throngs, sorry, I misread that post

Jeff
Old 10-10-2007, 01:15 PM

I often wear a camo shirt as well but not always. Definitely always wear something drab however. With the water so low, you honestly shouldn't be close enough to the fish so that camo matters. Long casts are a must and with the fish spooking whenever the fly line is anywhere near, I would recommend loooonnng leaders and tippet being much more important than what you wear.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM

Fish from the shadows! Don't need no camo clothing then!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM

i often wear camo at home so my wife can't find me . she always wants me to be doing constructive like helping her. when iam fishing i like wearing something in sky colors with blue, gray,and olive but i most often in a boat. have nothing to base this on but never know better than solid color i think.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I just started wearing camo when I fish. I have a couple of Tshirts and 2 longsleeves. I don't know if it has helped any, but I am a big guy who's knees don't allow a lot of squatting anymore so I figure the more I can blend in the better.