Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Lower Abrams Creek Campground

would like to know if anyone has fished the lower part of abrams creek by the camp ground, and if it be worth the trip down from ky. old flyfisherman
Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM

When I drove by there a few weeks ago, all I saw was a *lot* of carp. The water was clear, but I cannot believe that any trout would be there right now. Maybe good for smallmouth and rockbass. I loved the campground, by the way. I know there are some people on this forum who have fished that area. Maybe do a search on Abrams and see what turns up.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 AM

I've fished it a handful of times in the past few years. its ok at times, possibly even horrible at other times. this time of year it's probably marginal. that's just a guess by the way. with the current drought situation, I don't know how it would fish right now. I personally would recommend against it right now simply because its fairly isolated from the rest of the park. if you get there and aren't doing so well, you have a long drive to get anywhere else in the park.

its a neat little area though, and if you're really just interested in exploring it, I'd say go.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM

I take my kids swimming there in the summer. Even when the water is low I think you'd do okay fishing for smallies, but you would have a bit of a walk (5 miles or so) to get into decent trout water.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM

Smile Abrams creek

Well thanks for the info on the lower part of abrams creek , just how hard is it to fish the large horse shoe and what kind of phyical shape do you have to be in?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM

I live clsoe to Lower Abrams. Can't recommend it for trout. Smallies yes but not right now. Also I would not recommend hiking up to the Horseshoe from there. I have done it and it is not for your average fly fisherman. Also it can't be reasonably done in a day especially this time of year as the sun is not up for 14 hours.

If you go to the Horseshoe, have a Buddy, tell peole of your plans, plan to spend the night in the Park in the vent of an emergency, or just getting back late, and plan on getting wet at least once and BE CAREFUL. Lots of people have been hurt there. The bottom is as slick as Owl crap and it tilts.

Great fishing though. I did not check the water level Saturday when I was in the Cove but it can't be real good.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Ditto everything Jdwindon said. I fished it in hip boots, just because they are easier to dump the water out when you fall in. If you do the shoe, do it from the Cove, and get an early start. It would be very nice if the weather was warm too, for when you get wet.