Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Pliobond

I've been using Pliobond for at least 30 years, to seal and smooth out the knot where I tie my leader butt to the tip of the fly line. Now I can't find the stuff in any stores around here. I suspect it couldn't compete with the new generation of adhesives. Loctite seems to have the market pretty well locked up (pun intended). Anyone using anything else successfully? I'm concerned about chemical reaction between the glue and the line of course, and obviously the junction needs to be flexible. Appreciate any input...

sb
Old 10-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Other suggestions...

I like the product called "knot sense" by Loon. It is uv activated so you can work it into a good shape before exposing it to uv, either a uv light or plain ole sunlight. Zapa Gap is another good product, but is slower to cure.

Mike
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM

Hi Steve,

I haven't seen you in months. Get over here when we get some rain. We sell Pliobond. I especially love the smell. I have put too much on at once and melted the fly line.

We sell Knot Sense too. Actually I think it's better. Sure smells better.

Byron
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Haven't been able to bring myself to come over and see the streams in such bad shape. I'll be there when things get better though. Meanwhile I'm hoping the Caney will get back to good wading.

OK, so Pliobond still exists. That's good, since I resist change. Never had it damage a line, and really didn't know it could. I definitely know nail polish remover will do a job on a line though!

sb