Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Where to fish in Dec/Jan

Long time visitor to the site/First time Posting. Howdy to All!

I'd like to fish the park in December or January for a few days. I was wondering where would be a decent place to try at this time of year. I'm only somewhat familiar with the park. If possible I'd like to get away from the tourists and such. I'm not opposed to a hike if it will get me to some good waters. Also, are there any fly's that work better in the winter?

Thanks for the help!!!

Ryan
Old 10-24-2007, 01:32 PM

That time of year can be really hit or miss. If you are looking for consistent fishing, you would do much better on a tailwater such as the SoHo. If you really want to fish the park, I would personally fish the lower elevation streams such as Little River. Abrams (especially the upper part) can be a good cold weather option as well with the spring influence...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM

I'm not dead-set on fishing in the park. I just don't know very many places to fish. I'll have to look into the SoHo. I've read a few posts on here about it. During the winter, what kind of weather would I want to look for when planning my trip?

Thanks much!

Ryan
Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Ryan, in the winter, many of the park streams will be too cold for optimal fishing conditions. When the water gets below 40 degrees, the fish really don't feed much. If you are flexible on when you can go, a few relatively warm days can turn the fish on even in the middle of winter. Last January, I fished Lynn Camp Prong and the air temperature was in the 60's with the water around 51-52 degrees. The fish were feeding well and hitting dries. Another time last winter, I went when the water temps were in the mid 40's and only managed a few fish, all on nymphs and midges in the pools. If you can get there during and just after a slow warm rain (that doesn't blow the streams out), the fishing can be outstanding... The one nice thing about fishing in the winter is no crowds. You may not catch a ton of fish, but you should have at least a few opportunities to catch some and you probably won't see many if any other people out!!!

Since the tailwaters stay warmer than the mountain streams, they usually offer much better fishing in the cold months...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-24-2007, 04:51 PM

I appreciate the help. I'll keep your advice in mind when planning my get away.

I saw the pics of your Yellowstone trip on your blog. Beautiful country up there. I'm going to get up there one day!

Thanks.