Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Default BigPig Trout in Ohio???? O.M.G.......

ya gotta check out these pigs that are being caught in Ohio .....Yes, OHIO

guess I'm gonna have to check that out as an alternative to when I can't get to the park.........

buckeyetrouter

http://www.flyfishblogger.com/flybum
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Big Trout

Those are some enormous trout. Those pictures remind me of some I have seen from Dukes Creek in Georgia. I did not dig into details to see what water they were caught on or whether it is private or not, but they appear to be receiving some sort of food supplement. I have heard that they supplement the fish's diet on Dukes Creek to help them grow extremely quickly. It is somewhat artificial to do that, but I think I would quickly forget about it after I had one on the other end of my line.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Default A little closer to home!

Someone can help me out here....There are private waters that hold large trout like this in Georgia.....You can find it on HOOK.TV <----that's a link by the way, put it in your address bar the way it reads....It's all submitted video of people who fly fish...Somewhere on there there is a clip taken from a lodge in North East Georgia at a private fishery...The clip shows a guy dead drifting a streamer through a field of pigs, probably about 8 fish all around 15lbs....All of which kinda spins lightly around the whole stream management deal going on at the Clinch....Just think about how these waters could fare with regs! Maybe not to this extent or catching to that regularity, but I garuntee it would improve numbers of larger fish!

~Brett
Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Default North Georgia Trophy Hunting

Brett,
There are quite a few rivers like this in N. Ga. Other than Dukes Creek which is managed as a wildlife conservation area and you need reservations to fish, there is also Nacoochee Bend of the Chattahoochee River, Noontootla Farms on Noontootla Creek, and Frog Hollow on the Chestatee River. Most all of this water is on private property(privately managed) and the guide rates are in the range of $350 - $500 for a full day.

I have mixed feelings about places like this. On one hand I feel as if it is cheating to catch fish that have been raised and fed a supplement, but on the other it sure would be fun to tie into one of those bruisers for a fight of a lifetime.

Travis
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM

It would be nice to catch one of those hogs, but something about the way it's done feels kind of "hinky" to me. Kind of like those farms where you buy a bunch of quail and they go out and plant them around different places for you to shoot at. Or those ranches in Texas where they grow trophy bucks and let people with the money go in to shoot them.

I don't know, something just feels kind of artificial to me.

Then again, to catch a fish like that would be a lot of fun.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Plenty of places to catch big fish without paying the big $$$... Just takes some effort...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM

The Lodge ya'll are talking about in northeast GA is probably Brigadoon. It's where overweight golfers go to spend $5-700 a day to catch pet fish and brag to there friends about it afterwards. There are about a half dozen places like this, (Noontootla, Blackhawk, Goshen, etc.) But from what I've been told, they've had almost 100% fish kill the last few months.

Now Dukes Creek on the other hand is a completely different setup. I fish that stream 20-30 days a year and although it's very different than fishing in the park it's extremely challenging. The best part about Dukes is it's free to fish! It's part of the GA state parks so all you have to pay is $4 to park.

Mr. Vandalay
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Fishing Pig Farms

Fishing such places is fun, but it is what it is. Not a big accomplishment to hook a big fish there, but a lot of fun! The day we went we caught around 25 fish a piece and the smallest was an 18" brown. We each caught 4 fish in the 10+ lb range, it is a hoot! This was Blackhawk on the Soque'. fished it once about three years ago, it was $ 175.00 back then, plus for first timers $150.00 for the guide (they don't want you killing their fish). The guide helped us out and netted our fish, pretty good deal. Not anywhere near as high-brow as Brigadoon. Last I heard that was a Ted Turner deal or he was dating the owner. I will probably do it again at some point. A shame if the fish died, but I wouldn't be surprised, the creek is about the size of Tremont. If I can dig out the pics I will post some.
Best,
John