Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 AM

I know this is getting off topic, but justin spoke with matt kulp, a biologist in the smokies, and he said that because of the drought that the rainbow trout population has diminished a good bit. On the bright side, however, he noted that both the brown trout and brook trout seemed to have not been affected and that populations were still good and they haven't seen a decline. Thought i would share this because it was definitely encouraging news to me.

Anyways, back on topic, i looked at the radar this morning and it looks like at the very least a small line of heavy rain is on the way!

Craig
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Smile Rain

It should be raining in the Smokies right now. We have gotten at least two inches in Cleveland and this line is holding together as it hits the mountains. Let's hope this will help the situation and bring some relief to the fish.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 AM

Momma reports last night that there was a little over 1" in the rain gauge on our deck near Punkin Center. I'm stuck in Worcester, MA until late Thursday so I get to miss the first real rain in a L-O-N-G time at our place.

Also received news that my company wants me back in the Atlanta Metro soon........and requires a relo.

Anyone want to buy a house? I guess I'll be back to fishing North GA if they have any water and making the drive to the Park like I used to do. It's been a good three years though. Plus I know we'll be back when it's time to retire so all is not lost. I guess I'll put the mail order system at LRO to the acid test.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Sorry to hear about the transfer. I can't imagine being relocated away from the Smokies. But keep us posted on north GA and get yourself back up here from time to time.

Tight lines.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Where do I access the Oconaluftee River from Maryville?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 PM

From Maryville, you would need to go into the Smokies through Townsend, left at the "Y" to Sugarlands and then right up Highway 441 over to the North Carolina side. A pretty good hike from Maryville.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com