Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-27-2007, 02:57 AM

Default quick report, metcalf bottoms 10/25/07

after not fishing the park since .... sometime in the summer, I took a quick trip to metcalf bottoms to see what was going on. the water level was good, just slightly under normal. there was a thin hatch of light cahills about size 16.

only caught one fish, 6" bow, on a small pt. fished mostly with various cahill patterns and stimis. the fish were not interested in dries, saw no rises, despite the hatch of cahills.

read the report today and found out they did a shocking there recently. does this affect the fish (their desire to say, attack my fly) and if so for how long?
does anyone know the answer to this question?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Trevor, glad you were finally able to get some fishing in. I may be up that way next weekend...shoot me an email if you want to fish...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Shocking or low water

Plateau,
I will defer to one of the biologists if they weigh in, but I've always got an opinion. I think they may not have moved out of the holes or the riffles yet. That and they said the rainbows took a real hit, browns are real spooky as you know, so the catching will likely be down for a while.
Did you try the riffles leading to deeper runs? I have only fished out there once since early summer as well, took my little guy. He caught 3; one a young of the year, one about 8", and one dace. He did a little gloating about skunking dad!
Best,
John