Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Greenbriar Sat Oct 27, 2007

Man, it was a tough day, pineman and I began fishing a couple of miles up on ramsay cascades trail and the fishing was slow to say the least. The water was bone chilling at no more than 48 degrees or so. We had to quit fishing after catching a handful of small brookies. At about 3pm we got down to the lower end just upstream of the ranger station and we began getting strikes instantly. I couldn't figure out first why we didn't land any. After about half an hour I caught one small rainbow and it immediately became clear why we couldn't hook em'. They were all of 2" each. I've got flies in my box bigger than the fish.LOL.
We had fun anyway, but I believe the high country fishing is over this year for me. I need a break anyway, my wife says, she is still here. I'm going to do some honey do things for a while and some tackle maintenance and probably some more shopping for stuff I don't need. Hope you all had a good season and we will meet again.

Tight Lines,
Old 10-28-2007, 08:06 PM

That 2" fish song sounds familiar; last weekend, after a promising first day, that length seemed to be my average catch. I caught enough of those, when added together might have equated to a legal fish. That didn't bother me so much as all the strikes I missed, some of which were nice fish...I'm so frustrated with that, I'm tempted to scrounge together one more trip before it gets too cold - don't know if that will come off...if not, it will be late March before we're back up. I actually like the park in the winter, but it's tough to justify dragging the kids up there in freezing weather, only to be bored by not getting any action.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't want to sound negative but that kind of drive up here to fish in the winter is not worth it. The tailwaters might be another story though. I would rather hike in the mountains in the winter than fishing with ice in my guides. I got more than enough of ice fishing growing up in Sweden.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Yep, although it is nice to have the park nice and quiet - but dredging nymphs through pools isn't nearly as stimulating as eager trout smashing dries up top. We did come up a few times last winter, and we pretty much got skunked. I might pop up there with just my oldest daughter sometime between now and the end of the year, if the forecast looks promising. Of course, you can have miserable days out on the water down here, too; however, November has always been my best fishing month in the marshes of S.E. Louisiana...the redfish are all over the place and the speckled trout "move inside" from their summer haunts in the outer bays. I still dream of the bows and brookies hitting anything that moves in the Spring - it will be tough waiting that long, though.