Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Guess beer drinking isn't limited to bass fishermen, huh?

Rollin,
How did it go today? Hope things went well for you. I looked for you this morning - had some extra stimulators but there were several Alabama vehicles up and down the road.

Beautiful day for fishing - weather, water, fall colors, and a few hungry fish. It was one of those "Why we fish" days.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Hey nvr2L8, how'd you do today? I believe I saw your vehicle today. Blue Xterra huh? I figured someone was fishin when I pulled in there and didn't see anyone nearby. That's one of my favorite spots. Always a few nice rainbows, and a spec here and there. And, if you get in and don't make it to the trailhead, you get some climbing in too. Definetly a "why we fish" day.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 AM

Patillac,

Yep, that was me. I caught 7, all rainbows. They were really picky with flies; I tried a standard Parachute Adams, a stimulator and a female PA. Caught one on the stimi and one on the female PA and decided it was time to bite the bullet and try nymphs. I've really never tried to fish with nymphs but after I saw a really nice rainbow come up and "sniff" my dry a few times and go back down to the bottom of the pool, I thought "What the heck?" That same bow took my nymph so I stayed with it. Caught four on nymphs and one more on the leader dry; hey, I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em.

Also caught a couple of good gusts of wind up the gorge that took my dry/nymph rig and whipped it into a hopeless knot of line around my rod. The second instance was without making the first cast after cleaning up my first mess. That's a lot of knots to have to retie, especially when your fingers are starting to get a little stiff from the cool air in the gorge.

But all-in-all, a great day. All the beauty of the Smokies and a new experience with nymph fishing. Can't beat it.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 AM

"As admin on the site, allow me to present the first ever "Best Reason for Editing" award!
Brilliant....just brilliant."
-Paula

Thanks, Paula. Geez, this is so unexpected. And I have so many people to thank. First and foremost the good people of the Yuenglueng Brewery in Pottsville, Pa., the owners of the BP down the road who have recently begun selling my favorite beer, ummm... the entire Navy football team whose dismal performance against a 1-AA team yesterday upset me to no end and inspired me to crack that first beer early in the afternoon. LRO for giving me an outlet to express my drunken ramblings, all the posters on this message board, and lastly to Spurrier's Gamecocks who turned the ball over four times, breathing fresh life into the Vols SEC title hopes. I am sure am missing someone, but my time is up. Thank you all. This will go right up on my fireplace mantle. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Brian,

Have any pretzels with that beer?

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 AM

I fished at .7 miles past the Chimney Parking and caught a couple rainbows on Saturday and had a ton of hits. Sunday I caught a couple of very small Browns in Little River. I tried to get a Brook Monday am with no success but wne tback to the .7 miles pulloff and caught a couple more rainbows again with a ton of hits. 1st time in the Park and caught 2 of 3 species. I was very satisfied with my 1st trip. Thanks to LRO for the help and the fly selection. Orange Stimulator with rubber legs. (Only fly I had any luck with beside the Green Weenie)
Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Well I didnt do as good as I hgad hoped..

not too good

Last edited by RollinTide4; 10-30-2007 at 09:42 PM..