Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Yellowstone/Montana/Idaho/Wyoming 2008

My fishing partner and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone and the surrounding area. Although we plan to wet our lines in some of the famous rivers, our real goal is to fish smaller streams. We are hoping for any and all advice concerning books and guides, best times of the year to go, where to make our headquarters, etc. We mainly fish the rivers of the Smoky mountains and the Tellico area along with Northern Michigan and Shenandoah. We are on a budget, so we hope to do most of the fishing without a guide although we are budgeting some money for a float or two. Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 PM

The best time of year will depend heavily on the snowpack and subsequent runoff. My advice is to be flexible if at all possible... If I had to pick a time, it would be early June and I would spend it all on the Madison and Firehole and Gibbon (or October for the fall run fish). That's just me though and if small streams are high on the priority list, later in the summer would probably be better. Just beware that if you go later in the summer (July and August), you might be dealing with stream closures on the larger "famous" rivers... Early June is great for fishing some of the smaller backcountry lakes that fish best early in the season...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM

The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide, Fly Fishing the Madison and Fly Fishing Yellowstone Hatches (dvd) will about cover everything one needs to know. All available from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone or I'm sure Amazon, etc.. A stop into BRF when you get to YNP for current fishing reports and advice will really be worth the effort. End of June (depending on snow pack) or just after Labor Day are both prime time IMHO. I prefer to work out of Silvergate or Cooke City as most of the small stream fishing is up in the Lamar Vally. (and the least amount of tourist) The Grizz Lodge in Silver Gate is dated and worn but clean and friendly. As I mentioned in Barbara's tread for a special treat try to get in the Yellowstone Lake Hotel for a couple of nights. Or at the very least go about sundown and have a drink over-looking the lake.

BTW, I'm not associated in any way with BRF except a happy and well treated customer.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM

For a budget trip check into Rosevelt Lodges, cabins. They are 50 or 60 bucks a night, but you better call right now. You'd also proably be pretty safe picking early july for a trip. As run off can affect June. You'll also have good hatches in the park. Make sure to check out the West side of the park and if you are with a buddy look into some of the smaller streams has they can be tons of fun.

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 10-31-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Yellowstoneland when to go

First go when you can, you can find water to fish. My preference though would be late June after run-off. We went the 23rd of June this year and hit it right but the run-off was a little ahead of schedule. We got to fish Soda Butte and the Lamar early. If you can find out the Snowpack situation you may be able to forecast it. Still, impossible to know how quickly things will warm-up. You can always fish the Madison below Quake Lake. Slough Creek is highly recommended, a day on a spring creek; Depuy's or Armstongs is a good idea as well (about $175.00). West Boulder River. The year before we went in Mid-July, had a good trip for fishing then as well. The Yellowstone is great and big, a good float trip and really cool (to me) in that it is the largest (still) un****ed river in the US. We fished with a guide named Hank Bechard out of George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler, he is a great young man (3rd grade teacher during the school year)
So many opportunities! This is just my experience, doubt you would do badly anytime between June 20th and October 1st. Check out the Slide Inn on the Madison. West Yellowstone is a good place, Roosevelt lodge as Maurer said (nice restaurant there as well, which is handy). We camped at the Slough creek campground as well, very nice. Get the book by Craig Matthews, call Little River, I bet they have it.
Have fun, The Lamar Valley is one of the most beautiful places on earth, especially as you drive into ito it.
Best,
John
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Soda Butte

This is Soda Butte just below Pebble Creek, the Pebble Creek campground is just to the far left of photo. Photo was taken on Sept 14th. 27 degrees ever morning when I climbed out of tent, warmed up to the 60's during the day.