Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-02-2007, 10:19 AM

Default First Trip to GSMNP - Need Help

Hello Everybody,

I have never been to the GSMNP but will be making my first voyage over in the Spring around the first of June with my 12 year old son.

We are planning on camping and would like to hike into a campsite for two-three days of fishing.

Can someone point us in the right direction as to what campsite would offer good fishing and relatively easy access for a couple of novice GSMNP fisherman.

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Give campsite 24 a go....it is a 4.5 mile hike in up the Little River Trail....first took my son there when he was 12....campsite is located on Rough Creek and is a nice site with plenty of food cables. The site is bounded by the Little River....nice dry fly fishing here and brookie water above.....you can walk back down the trail 1/2 mile and cross over to Fish Camp Prong for another good area.....this campsite definitely holds the potential for a slam of all three trout species.....another bonus is that the last time my son and I were there during the 2nd week of June there was a fire fly display that was better than the one they write about in Elkmont....
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 AM

I agree with Rog on Campsite #24, but here are two more suggestions that are a bit shorter:

#65 on Noland Creek is about 1.3 miles from the Lakeshore drive trailhead. The campsite is very nice (I've stayed there).

#60 on Deep Creek is about 2.5 miles from the trailhead.

The fishing is probably a bit better on Deep Creek.

If you are interested in learning more about the area (and planning your trip) there is a map and book that you might find interesting. The Hiking Trails of the Smokies book is a great reference to all of the trails of the park and the Trails Illustrated map of the Great Smoky Mountains (#229) is a great reference, as well. You can get both at the SmokiesStore: http://www.smokiesstore.org/browse.cfm/4,683.htm

Last edited by PeteCz; 11-02-2007 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Added Link