Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 AM

Default fishing 10-30 and 11-1 1st post new member

my dad was down from erie pa so we went to the park tue the 30th and thur the 1st this was only my 4th trip over from crossville we did well at geenbrier tue fishing from just before the area where where the one lane stop signs are to just above where the little stream runs in we managed 6 sm rainbows each ranging from 2in -6in that afternoon we fished at about the 3rd pulloff below metcalf btms in search of browns no such luck some nice pools but no fish spooked a few but nothing else thur the 1st we decided to try the tremont area fished below the center nothing but tiny tiny rainbows and chubs tryed up higher same story but even less fish headed over to bote mtn trail and hiked in the 1.5 miles to west prong a long tough hike for dad at 66 yrs old but hes in great shape we fished below the primative campsites with no luck a long haul for 2- 2inch rainbows quess we shoulda went up stream is this area as productive as the book i bought (the fly fishermans giude to smokey moutain national park by h.lea lawrence) said it is or is the information a bit dated im going to try the elkmount campground area on sunday and dad we be back home is the fishing up the trail from elkmount campgroud produvctive this time of year sorry for the long post im the new guy ill try to keep future post shorter
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Fishing above elkmont should be good. Hike for 45 minutes and start fishing. The only way to catch fish this time of year with gin clear and cooler water is to remain hidden behind boulders and be very, very careful of your line and shadow. You've got to be, very, very, quiet!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Fishingman....As with most streams in the Park the higher you walk the better the fishing gets...at Elkmont hike in to the Huskey Branch where it comes off the mountain....a couple of miles but pretty easy....start in there and fish up to the next bridge.... the river leaves the trail there and once you get in you will pretty much have it to yourself. It is a 3.7 mile hike into where the river forks.....some good fishing up Fish Camp Prong....let us know how you do.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

also, don't forget that prime mountain fishing is slowing down because of low water temps as well as the low water level. I know everyone loves the solitude but winter fishing is not that easy. Fish hunker down deep due to cold water.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Smoky Mtn Fishing Guide

Tremont is loaded with little rainbows. Start about mile above the institute. Water shouldn't be that cool yet. Not sure how hard the drought has hurt the fishery. The stream is still beautiful.
Best,
John
Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 PM

I ditto Rog1's suggestion. In the past falls, I've had about 1/3 of my catch up there be browns. Let us know how you do!!
Randall Sale
Kytroutbum