Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Loss of Southern Appalachian Brook Trout

Very good article in the November/December issue of Eastern Fly Fishing magazine regarding the loss of Southern Appalachian Brook Trout due to increase stream temperatures and loss of streams due to the introduction of the rainbows and browns. Article refers to some ongoing research being conducted at Virginia Tech and substantiates a lot of the comments from this summer regarding trout mortality.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM

I saw that article as well, definitely an interesting read. Some of the numbers that they give in regards to the increase in water temp and how it will effect the fish are downright alarming! It's a shame to think about some of those things happening.

Craig
Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM

I read that too. It is frighteningto think what could happen. Not to sound too much of a downer, but I think the time for change was 50 years ago.

If global warming is a reality, and if it is human caused, the damage has probably already been done. We may be able to change a few things and help reduce effects, but it's a buildup since the beginning of the industrial revolution and a global problem. Until India, China, Brazil and other developing nations scale back their emissions and deforestation I fear there's not much that can be done.

I just hope people a whole lot smarter than this fisherman can figure out a way out of this. Not only for the brookies, but for us as well.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Until India, China, Brazil and other developing nations scale back their emissions and deforestation I fear there's not much that can be done.
Not gonna happen. Second-world countries have long wanted what we enjoy here in America, that being a big house and a car. They want to be able to consume the massive amounts of energy and materials per capita that we Americans (and to a lesser extent, Europeans) do. We had a dirty industrial revolution, and now they want theirs. They want to be us.

Only hope is cheap and clean solar, but that isn't likely. I'm kind of surprised that global warming is a big story here in 2007. 50 years out, when the planet has about 9 or 10 billion people, and a much larger per capita resource use, current environmental problems will look small.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM

I agree snaildarter, and it's compounded by the fact that as consumers, we expect to pay for the imported goods from these countries at the lowest price possible. When I would travel to Brazil, the thing that surprised me was not the deforestation but the lack of reforesting. A eucalyptus tree matures in less than seven years in the Amazon but there is no active plan to reforest the majority of the areas being clear cut.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Not sure how I fall on the GW issue as far as where responsibility falls but there certainly appears to be a change and one for certain in the trout fisheries. This aticle appeared in the Conservationist, mag put out by the state of New York. Makes me wonder if we are heading to a mostly tailwater only fishery.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/39313.html