Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Slight change of plans, options needed

Hi guys,
It looks like trout fishing in the park may not be the best option this weekend. As I mentioned in the other thread, we're going with our church group and there will be "planned activities". My read on "planned activities" measn "limited fishing opportunity" and "wife pleasing".

OK< here's the deal. We're not staying in Gatlinburg, we're staying on
Upper Middle Creek Rd, Sevierville.

Driving from Sevierville to the park to fish for a couple hours and driving back to participate in "planned activities" is going to put too much strain on the maritial relationship.

So, are smallies hitting in Sevierville or Piegon Forge? Are there access points to the river through there where I won't get arrested, shot, yelled at?

Are there places to wade? Do I need a trout stamp or just a Tenn license?
What flies to use for smallies and other fish in this area?

I'm so darn bummed out and frustrated I could spit, but I want to salvage some part of the weekend and get a fly on/in the water.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Smallie fishing is pretty much over till next spring. The water levels in the rivers are low but you might get a G-burg permit and catch some stocker bows on the spur and on up in G-burg itself.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM

Troutman,
Thanks. Stockers may save the weekend. Not my favorite kind of fishing, but it's better than no fishing at all. Heck, I may be able to fish the town while the girls go shopping.

I've never fished in the town before so a few questions:
1) license requirements? (what's a Gatlinburg permit, is a Tenn state license still required and a Tenn trout stamp?)

2) what's the "spur"?

3) where to fish in Gburg?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM

http://www.gatlinburg-tennessee.com/todo/fishing.html
Link to g-burg fishing

The spur is the road and river area between PF and G-burg. That is the west prong of the little pigeon river that starts in the park and runs all the way down to Sevierville. You can usually get the G-burg trout fishing brochure at any motel or visitor center.

The scenery while fishing through town is pretty bad, the backs of motels and some trash in the river. I fish it every year during the delayed harvest because its close and a good high catch rate for my son to work on his nymphing skills. 20" bows are common.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 PM

So, as an out of state person, I will need the Tenn all species license and the daily G'burg permit?

Kind of expensive but may well be worth it to keep marital bliss and have me on the water.

Yes, backside of motels is not the purist experience, but at least it's water and fish and not sitting around a chalet listening to people chit chat all day.

Jeff