Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Default New Fly Line for a TFO 3wt

I'm looking to replace my current line. I have a TFO Pro 3wt that I want to overline with a good 4wt floating line. The TFO Pro 3wt has medium action, and I usually only take it into the park/mountains to make casts of 20yds and less.

Anybody with similar objectives that has found a line they really like? (that is still being manufactured...)
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM

which line are you using now?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I've been really pleased with my Rio Pocketwater lines. Of course they stopped making it as the Pocketwater. However, their Nymph line is built along the same dimensions. You'd think that with the name Nymph it'd be a sinking line but it's not.

Maybe you can talk Daniel into loading one up for you to try out. Or, I'd be happy to let you try out mine to see what you think. Let me know.

Gerry
Old 10-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Trevor, I have a 4wt WF Cortland 333, that I purchased 5 yrs ago (I think...). I found two splits (almost halfway through the line) at the 10' and 30' point. I didn't take very good care of it, so the fact that it lasted that long is kind of a miracle.

Now that I'm fishing a couple times a week I'd like to step up to something better (I'll take better care of, as well).

Gerry, Thanks for your offer. The LRO website doesn't have the RIO Nymph line, but since its new for 2008, they will probably be adding it soon. Did you ever look at the RIO Selective Trout Line? Once my rod comes back from the shop, I'll probably bug the folks at LRO into letting me cast a few lines in their back yard...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM

I'm partial to Wulff TT lines on everything i fish.

Grumpy
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Wulff

Wulff TT on a TFO Pro 8'6" 4 wt. There has been some discussion recently on trimming back the end of the line to make it more suitable for nymphing. Mine has been shortened about 8" due to a cut in the end of the line and will still lay a dry out nicely on top of the water.

I picked out the rod and the reel, and let Grumpy pick any line he wanted to put on it: it's got Wulff and I'm glad of it.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 AM

petecz,

I would recommend that you try a double taper line. for a smaller rod in the park, (imo) I think a DT line is a better choice. basically, in a DT line the taper is more concentrated toward the end of the fly line. the result is that the rod will load better on shorter casts. the DT line should also roll cast easier. I believe that for short casts, in the park, switching to a DT line first may give you that extra feel you're looking for.

secondly, you should keep in mind that certain fly lines may have different weights according to their purpose. example- the SA GPX line is half a line size higher than it is rated. so if you buy a GPX 3wt, it is actually a 3.5wt line. you may want to look at a DT GPX 3wt line first, as I think it will give you the feel you're looking for. the combo of half a weight overline with DT is going to feel alot better on those short casts. if you think you'd like more, try the 4wt. LRO uses GPX on their demo reels. daniel has all kinds of reels set up .... go to LRO, test them out on your rod. you'll think you're casting a totally different rod.

I've tried the RIO selective trout in WF 5wt. I hated it. Had RIO classic in DT 4wt. loved it. I'll be using GPX on my 3wt rod when I change it come spring. hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys, I was hoping to narrow it down to a few that sound promising and you've helped me do that. When I get a chance to get out there I'm going to look at the SA GPX, Wulff TT and the RIO.

I'm not sure which will suit my casting style...I'm not even sure I have a style. I went fishing with Hugh earlier in the year and after having me cast for awhile, he finally said to stick with what feels right (I think that was his polite way of saying: your casting stroke is so broken, we could spend all day trying to fix it, but you'd rather catch fish, so let's do that instead...)

Thanks again, you guys have been very helpful (as always!)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM

I have a TFO 3 wt Finesse loaded with 4 wt Wuff TT (ivory) w/ 6'' removed from the tip and must say, it is the best of all my mountain rod setups. Ive been fishing this for over a year and it has become my go to rod these days.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but i'm curious, has anyone had any actual experience playing around with sa's new sharkskin line? The hype machine is full throttle and they're making it sound like the next great thing, but i've yet to hear from anyone who has actually used it. I know it's expensive, but IF (and that's a big if) it is as good as they claim it may be worth it. Anyways, not sure if you want to invest that kind of money into fly line but it may be worth a look.

Craig