Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Best Fishing 11/12 - 11/17

Hey everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now (my 1st post though) in preperation of my trip up to GSMNP next week. You guys have given me TONS of info, Thanks!

My GF and I are staying in Wears Valley, and I was wondering if you would be able to point me to a couple of good spots to fish. She would be coming along with me, but will be mainly sitting, reading, and taking pictures. So anything longer than a 1-2 mile hike is not really something I want to make her do, unless the fishing is killer Also the drive doesnt matter so much, but we're in a 2 door coupe, so nothing unpaved.

Abrams Creek seems to be a good idea, but then again I havent been fly fishing in the park in 8 years, so with the current conditions, I am at a loss as to where I should go. Of course I plan on stopping by LRO since its pretty close to Wears, and I can get some more info there as well as some flies.

Any info is much appreciated!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default always a good spot

Even though everyone in the park seems to fish it, Metcalf Bottoms is always a great spot to start. The fish rise there all winter long, so this cold snap is not too big a deal, and there are some suprisingly nice fish through that stretch. Not to mention, plenty of benches for someone to sit, and bathrooms, in case nature calls while your girl is reading and taking pictures.
If fish are rising, I'd go stait to a size 22 blue winged olive, as it seems its that time of year again already. Oh and by the way, Metcalf Bottoms is like literally 10 minutes from wears valley road. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Welcome, Boost!

A couple of other suggestions:
  • If you drive through the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area where 2weight is sending you and turn right on Little River road, you will get up to the Elkmont campground turnoff after about 5 miles or so. The river up past the campground is beautiful, the hike easy on an old road, and there are some unique picture opportunities of some old cottages that were privately owned years ago and are now abandoned. Fishing is nice up that way.
  • Beyond Elkmont and over the mountain, you'll find the Sugarlands Park Vistor Center. Turn right on U.S. Highway 441, heading towards North Carolina. There are some nice spots to fish off the Quiet Walkways just off the road (again, a nice spot for GF to enjoy while you fish).
  • If you go 5 miles up that road, the river goes through the Chimney's picnic area where there are plenty of places to fish, many places to sit and read and some of prettiest river views in the park for photographing in my humble opinion - beautiful river with large boulders and overhanging trees make a postcard kind of atmosphere.
Enjoy our park - glad to have you.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM

You mentioned going to Abrams. I would not recommend that. It is a tough place to fish. The hike in is not really easy, though i'm sure you and your GF could handle the hike but the fishing is tough! Slick rocks, sharp rocks, etc. Plus, she'd have to be wading with you. in a lot of places, there is no bank to walk on just a steep sloped rock.

Tremont would be a good spot. When you leave LRO and get to the "y" in the park you either turn left towards metcalf bottoms, Elkmont & Gatlingburg or you turn right towards Cades Cove. Turn right and then take the first left about 500 yards down the road. This will take you to Tremont. You can fish along the road or drive all the way to the end of the gravel road and hike above the cascades and fish.

Don't know about water levels but the cascades would make a good picture if there's any water, the hike is not bad, creek is literally right beside the trail and the road will be easy on the car.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Roaring Fork-located behind Gatlinburg. As you exit the park from the Sugarlands and enter Gatlinburg make a left onto Airport Road. Go past Convention Center, St. Mary's (were I was married 25 years ealier) and you will eventally run into the Roaring Fork Loop Road. Two chose locations- The 1st and second bridges and updteam from the log cabins. Bring plent of tippets/ leaders
Old 11-09-2007, 10:44 AM

My wife wife and I did exaclty what you are talking about doing 2 weeks ago. The best place I went where my wife could stay close get some good pictures and was reaaly the best place I fished was .7 miles past the Chimney Top Trailhead on the right. I fished with a rubber legged Orange Stimulator I purchased from LRO (Thanks Guys) and missed a ton but caught a few there. My wife sat on a huge downed tree there and watched the trout rise and hit leaves floating She had a ball. She said if she would have had her own rod with a lure the color of that leaf she would like to have caught that little fish. If you go there you will see the huge tree I am speaking of. Say hey to that little fish for my wife an myslef. I love that little stretch and will frequently visit there from now on when I go back.
Good Luck
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Thanks everyone!

You guys are awesome, thanks for all of the info!

I think Metcalf sounds like a good idea, as well as the place Arlo was talking about near Chimney Top Trailhead. Even Tremont sounds great, I remember seeing the top of the cascades (Ramsey Cascades was it? been a long time) Although, all of you have given me a bunch of places...I wonder if I can talk my GF into fishing two of the six days?

I'm gonna print this thread out the night before we head out, and try and mark all of these places on a map. Anyone know a good map of the park with all the roads/trailhead locations? A .pdf would be perfect.

Wow, you guys are using somewhat different tackle than what i was told down here in FL. Theres a great shop I recently started visiting down here and its only 10 mins from my house. Darren, the owner used to be a trout guide and was telling me to use only nymphs (which I grabbed a few of) this time of year, although I did grab a few BWO's when I was there . Only thing is, that I got everything in sizes 16-18. Do you think thats too big or should I be ok? I don't mind grabbing a few more flies, I need to stop by LRO for a few things anyway.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone, I can't wait to get out on the water this up coming week. I love it in the park, and I've sorely missed coming up there for a long time! You guys are lucky to have such a beautiful backyard.

Thanks again!

Jason
Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Default If you're ever down in south Florida...

BTW

Here's the shop I mentioned. If you are ever down in my neck of the woods, fishing some flats, go see Darren.

http://www.oleflorida.com/

Very, very nice guy, and he runs a GREAT shop.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Here is a park trail map online but I would recommend stopping at LRO and picking up a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the park. They are very good quality and are well worth the few dollars in my opinion... When you stop by LRO, they can help you out with whatever is currently working in the park... Good luck on your trip!!!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Map

Thanks Plateau!

I'll stop by LRO and ask for it. Work can't end fast enough today >.< arghh!!