Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Help this weedend 11/16-11/18

I will be in the area this weekend. I am mainly going to get away with the wife and baby but going to get to fish a little. Would anyone be willing to give me directions to Road Prong form Pigeon Forge. I will be down this weekend and want to fish somewhere close "to please the wife" to PF. I have been up near Tremont, is that Middle Prong? I have also been hearing about the Chimney Tops where is that at, I hear above Sugarlands but I am still lost. I hate to plug for info but wanting to do some fishing in a decent spot, and would love to get a brookie or two. So thanks for the info.

STU
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Stuart,

Tremont is the Middle Prong of the Little River over here near Townsend. To get to Road Prong you will need to drive up Newfound Gap Road or 441 toward Cherokee from Gatlinburg. If you stop at the Sugarlands Visitors just outside Gatlinburg you can pick up a free map. If you had posted earlier I would have sent you one. That area up high might be too cold this weekend and you might do better down lower on the West Prong of the Little Pigeon. But it's hard to say right now. We are supposed to get snow up there tonight. It's going to get down into the teens tonight and tomorrow night up high. Road Prong is an excellent Brookie stream. I would give it a try. The Chimney's Picnic area is on the right going up the mountain. If you come through Townsend stop by the shop and I'm pretty sure we have some free maps. If someone can explain exactly how to get there please chime in. If you are up there try the West Prong below Alum Cave Creek for Brookies.

Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Byron
Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM

I think you pretty much described it to a T Byron - the Chimney's Picnic area is there on the right, on 441 as you climb the ridgeline...I think it's around mile marker 8 or 9. A few miles further up, also on the right, is the trailhead for the Chimney Tops trail; that in turn connects to the Road Prong trail, which gives access to that stream.

Stuart -

I would make two suggestions...first, stop by LRO and get the National Geographic map of the park...it shows everything in good detail. Secondly, pick up a thermometer while you're there - water temperature can tell a lot of the story. Also, I would second what Byron had to say about fishing "up high"...the water will probably be VERY cold after a couple of nights of this. Further down, there's a little more light hitting the stream and a little more warmth. I like accessing the WPLPR at one of the pullouts between mile markers 5 and 6; very easy access to the stream there, and I've always gotten strikes in that stretch, including the largest wild trout I've caught in the park (to date).
Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Thanks alot guys, I wil be in fri. or sat. at the shop. I hope to have a good short fishing trip. Sounds like the tremont will be the closest place to get to fish some. I don't want to spend alot of time on the road. So thanks again and see ya sat probably. I hope to see my ol buddy Hugh on sat maybe if I don't tell him I said hey Byron!

STU
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

441 is currently closed due to ice and snow....what happens in a couple of days in up in the air. check the website or any PARK visitor center.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the update.
STU