Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Streamers

Since cool weather is setting in I thought it would be a good time to tie streamers. I'd like to hear what people are doing with streamers. Tying muddlers and clousers, etc can be a nice break from the small stuff. Any creative ideas? Any styles/colors/patterns that are especially effective for our waters. For example, lately I've had decent luck with a small black leech tied with no hackle. I slide on a black bead for weight. What about bugger
hackle? What are your choices? hook styles? sizes?color? Sorry I can't be at LRO for Hugh's tying demonstration. Hugh, unselfishly, contributes a good deal of great information to this forum
Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 AM

Default The slumpbuster

Monk,
I have to say that I am partial to a slumpbuster. It is primarily all micro pine squirrel zonkers. Sometimes I add a few strands of flashabou. Attached is a picture.

For this one I was all out of cones, and only had the olive hair. Daniel is taking care of that for me. Extremely easy to tie as well.

Travis
Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Nice

ChemE, I really like the looks of that one. What rivers have used it? How heavy ? Need a 5wt or 6wt to sling it? I don't have any photos to put up. Hopefully I can get teched-up on that end.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Slumpbuster

Monk,
I originally found out about this fly while on the San Juan out west. Here I have used it on the Clinch and have talked to others who have used it successfully on the Caney. I use a small cone head with a couple wraps of lead just behind the head to secure it into place. I would say to fish it on a 6-wt, which is what I use and what I used out west as well. However, in a pinch I have been able to fish it at a short distance using my 4-wt. I am awaiting a shipment from LRO of some brown and natural pine squirrel zonkers to tie some of these in a couple other colors.

Travis