Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Default How to be a better fly fisherman

OK,

I admit that I am addicted. I feel better getting that out in the open so, how does one become a better fly fisherman?

I am a true beginner. I started with a very basic class here in Louisille in April. I then went several times to a few places with limited success.

In September, I took the 2 day beginners class at LRO which was great. Just got back from a trip to the Smokies where I finally caught my first wild trout.

I have read lots and lots of books on the subject but understand that hands on is the way to go.

I plan on coming back in April and getting a guide to continue my education. I know I have a need to continue to improve my casting and mending of the line. I feel really weak in reading the water.

So, with all of that, what say you? I need some serious help with this addiction.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Cardfly,
Check out derbycityflyfishers.com in Louisville. They meet at the Nature Center across from the zoo. This club is more than willing to help and has some experienced fly fishers.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM

cardfly,

The best advice I can give you is to continue fishing and do it as often as you possibly can. Whether it is on the stream, a small pond or a lake nothing can make you better like actual on the water experience. If you can't get to water, try to find somewhere to pratice casting such as the backyard or a park.

Most fly fisherman, even experts, will never know all there is to know about the subject. It is a process that develops only with time and experience in my opinion. Just keep at it.

Drew
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Go early, go often, and stay late
Old 11-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Default What he said...

I second Flyman's advice. I started first of May fly fishing and went fishing on average 3 out of every 4 weekends all summer; on a couple of occasions went more than once in a week (still going every couple of weeks even with the arrival of colder weather). Repitition is the only cure for some of the mistakes of us novice fly fishers. I still make bad casts, bad reads, and bad approaches to target spots. But I keep trying and I keep catching fish and try to figure out what I'm doing right when I do catch.

After six months, I have barely scratched the surface so I keep hitting the streams as often as possible, keep repeating what seems to work and try to expand what I'm doing to get better.

It's my good fortune to live 30 minutes from GSMNP and that gives me a great advantage. At this point in my FF adventure, I can't imagine living so far from a stream that I have to go weeks (or months) between excursions.

Persevere, CardFly. In this sport, we're all beginners.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Just Fish

Just Fish.

Don't think when fishing. Just fish and cast. I think that our brains are very good at remembering and analyzing the spots we catch fish. I don't think we have to try. If you keep fishing, over time you will intuitively know where to cast, based on your previous experiences.

Peace,

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau