Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Deep Creek 11/16 to 11/18

My wife and I travelled to Bryson City for a long weekend. We arrived late in the afternoon on Friday. I fished Deep Creek for about an hour with no success.

Saturday, we got to the Deep Creek trail about noon. My wife is a trail runner and she decided to run the Martin's Gap loop. I hiked up to the loop trail and got in the water shortly above there. Lots of good looking water, but no hatches and no takers. It was a little cool on Saturday, and I don't know if that affected the bugs. After two hours of fishing, I was supposed to meet my wife back at the loop trail. She was late and I started to worry about her, so I quit fishing. Turns out Deep Creek and Martin's Gap are a lot steeper than she's used to, so it took longer than expected.

Eventually, we met up. Our original plan was for her to watch me fish for while, but she was too tired, so we walked out. On the way out, she let me fish the pool above the first bridge for a few minutes. I tied on a size 10 gold stone fly, weighted it down, and chunked it to the top of the pool from behind the big boulder. On about the third cast, I hooked a gorgeous rainbow, which I measured on my rod at slightly longer than 12". With that, we left.

Sunday, my wife let me fish for two hours after we checked out. It was much warmer on Sunday. We arrived at about 11:00. Soon after arriving at the same pool above the first bridge, BWO's started hatching like crazy. I caught two 'bows and one brown in the 6" range. Each came on a different fly: size 22 BWO; size 22 griffith's gnat; and, size 20 parachute adams. I also saw some good size orange colored bugs that I assumed were stone flys, but I'm not an entymologist.

As it was time to leave, I talked my wife in allowing me to fish down stream. I tied the stone fly back on and started hight sticking all of the likely runs. I stuck a 10-12" fish right in front of the falls and then we decided to go.

The water was extremely clear and I think this contributed to my slow fishing on Saturday. I'll have another post on that topic.

Robert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Sounds like you saw some "October Caddis" or as they say in England, Cinnamon Sedges.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks Hans.

Now, I'm kicking myself for not tying on a big attractor. I've got several orange stimulators in the box as well as caddis. They certainly would have been easier to see!

Robert
Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM

Yeah, I like a tan or brownish Elkhair Caddis in about a 14 or 16, of course I wasn't there so I don't know exactly the size of the insects you saw but that should be about right.