Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Which GPS?

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

The Holidays are here and I am looking for the right GPS device (and software) to carry with me while fishing in the Smokies. I am new to the area and figured that it would be a smart thing for me to have while exploring all of the wonderful fishing the Smokies has to offer.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

Tight Lines.

Bob
Old 11-24-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Gps

I have the Garmin Etrex Vista. I really like it. I was going to map all of my favorite fishing spots in the Smokies but I soon found out that you can't get very good signals along the rivers because of the overhead tree canopy. You have to put in a lot of time trying to find unobstructed views of the sky. Maybe newer models get better reception.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Default You might want to

...check out the Garmin GPS 60 csx. I have an Etrex Vista and it works great in the open, but not under the trees. The newer models like the gps 60csx have a better antenna and are far more sensitive. I have heard that they have been know to even locate satellites from indoors.

Mike
Old 11-24-2007, 05:46 PM

Hello Bob,

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx. Got it when I first moved to Nashville earlier this year. It wasn't something I REALLY needed, but it did help me to a few job interviews and really came in handy on my trip out west.

It does do the job well. I have a lock on satellites almost anywhere I go. Even downstairs in the center of my house I have a signal. With the map I have loaded, I can get turn by turn directions. Battery life is amazing...and the build quality is great. Also, Garmin has great CS.

I can't say I would make this purchase again, however. It's just not worth the money to me. I spent about $350 on the unit. It's basically worthless unless you purchase extra mapping software. So I spent another $140 on City Navigator....then another $100 on accessories. Now, if I want to effectively use it for hiking...I'll have to spend another $120 on TOPO.

SO... if you have the money and are looking for a great handheld, I would check out this one. At the time I made the purchase, this was one of, if not the best, handhelds available. And you should be able to get it at better price now.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 PM

It sounds like I would need the better models just to gain access to satellites through the heavy tree cover. I have been looking at these online and it is a shame you can't buy a high sensitivity device without all of the bells and wistles.

Thanks for the informaiton and tight lines.

Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Ties GA View Post
I have been looking at these online and it is a shame you can't buy a high sensitivity device without all of the bells and wistles.

Bob
Bob, i'm with you, i'd love to have one, something simple in my case , doghaircaddis spent quite a bit there, i don't think i've spent that much my entire life on gas being lost or that much time being turned around in my back yard to justify that much money.

Grumpy