Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 AM

You got one too, huh? Which one called your name? I'm looking forward to stringing it up with the sharkskin and trying it out, should be good. That baby is going to get broke in real nice over christmas!

Craig
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 AM

I went with the 904, i fooled around & sold a lot of rods awhile back, realized i had sold everyone of my 4 weight tailwater rods
A friend of mine ordered the 3 weight, i hope i don't like it after getting the 4

Grumpy
Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Well congrats on the rod. I'm sure that if you are like you're hoping to get the rod in as soon as possible so you can stare and gawk at it. That is one impressive looking rod! I can't wait to try it out on the water here in a few weeks. I'm interested to see what some of the other larger rod companies (i.e. sage, winston) are going to come up with to combat this rod. They can't be too happy with all the press that this rod is getting, heck i haven't even heard anything about any other rods. I heard alot about the sage z-axis but since this thing come out you would have thought they stopped making that rod.

Craig
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM

I like fast action rods with a good tip, both the T3 & Zero Gravity 5 weights that i fish have that, the T3 especially, the old Scott S3's were the same, never have been a Sage fan, other than the older SP.
Winston is coming out with the new BIIX/MX which is supposed to be there answer to us fast action "nuts", the problem with it is, a 5 weight is there smallest offering.
The BIIX is a sweet fishing rod, it dosen't have enough tip for me though. Although the new Helios is rated a 8.5 mid-flex in the 4 weight, i could feel more power in the tip, a little more stifness than the average mid=flex, that comes in handy punching nymphs/indicators on tailwaters in the wind, at least for my casting stroke.
Yep, i'll be a happy camper when it get's here, can't wait to read about your impressions/thoughts on the rod & that Sharkskin.

Grumpy
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 AM

I have a 3wt bIIx and i love it, really does everything it's intended for very well and even some things it's not intended for. I'm thinking this will be my go to tailwater rod from now on, although i don't really fish tailwaters that much. I also think it will be a really good all around rod for the larger streams in the smokies. Man i can't wait to play around with it!

Craig
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Well i just got my rod in last night and although i haven't gotten a chance to string it up and play with it (i'm busy packing and getting ready for a trip out to ocracoke on the outer banks to fish for some drum and hopefully some stripers!) i at least took it out and gawked at it for a little while.

The first thing you notice is the aesthetics of not only the rod, but even the rod tube! The tube looks immediately caught my eye in all it's carbon fiber glory. Upon taking the rod out and putting it together, just like the rod tube, the rod just looks plain amazing. I played around with it for just a second and the weight, much like orvis claims, is nothing less than phenomenal. It's hard to even feel like you're holding anything at all in your hand. This rod will definitely make for some effortless casts. Even with the rod being so light, it definitely felt like it would pick up alot of line off the water effortlessly for the longer casts. It looks like the first chance i will have to use the rod will be on the soho the sunday before christmas, so i'll make sure and give some impressions upon my return. I definitely feel like this will be a perfect rod for tailwaters and larger streams, though.

I was going to take some pictures of it and put it up here but didn't have time. When i return i might do that. Thanks again LRO for calling and checking on that rod. I wasn't planning on having it until next year but now i get to use it over christmas, thanks!

Craig
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Helios Rod

Craig,
I hope that you have a great trip out to the Outter Banks, but do hurry and get back safely. I'm going to help you break that new Helios Rod in properly on the South Holston. Eat your heart out, Grumpy!
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 12-05-2007 at 09:23 AM..
Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Congrat's, being i haven't gotten mine, would you mind sending your's my way & i'll see how it fishes

Grumpy
Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Yeah i hope to give that rod a nice work out on the south holston in a few weeks. After playing with the rod a little bit last night, it really feels like it'll make those nice long casts that are required at the south holston feel effortless. It's killing me knowing i can't fish with it for a few weeks, but i guess i can take it. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that, hopefully, i'll be giving it an extensive 8 day workout over christmas!!

Craig
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM

YEA, mine came in this morning, cast great out in the parking lot, Christening come Sunday

Grumpy