Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 PM

I am at that point where trifocals are the order of the day.
I prefer prescription polarized sunglasses. The clip-on ones have never worked well for me.
TroutAssasin whatever you decide to get, IMO they should be polarized.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
I bought some Cocoons sunglasses at LRO that fit over my prescrption glasses that are amber.
I was wondering when someone would mention the subject of clip-ons (or fit-overs). I'm using a Wal-mart clip-on, which is ok, but I've always suspected it was way too dark...I know when it's late in the evening, I'm better off without them. I'll look into those, so to speak.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Byron/Paula/Daniel:

I looked on the online catalog, and I couldn't pull up any sunglasses...have they not been added yet? The more I think about it, the better those Cocoons sound.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 AM

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I just order a pair of maui jims, Sandy Beach, with a bronze lens. They looked like a great buy, and from the research Ive done, they are very good quality.

TA
Old 12-08-2007, 12:55 AM

I am also in the trifocals area and I have a pair of the cocoons in green. They are really great but the amber would be better. Low light the green is to dark.
Wyatt
Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 AM

In a hurry to get on the water one morning, i left my shades in the truck A guide friend of mine happened to float by & asked how it was going, i told him i couldn't see a thing with the glare on the water & was to lazy(actually catching the fire out of them in that run) to walk back to the truck.
He offered me a pair of Cocoons, they worked great & i was so humbeled to be able to see, offered the run up to him & his clients.
I've talked to quite a few folks that like the Cocoons, as already mentioned by other's, the amber or copper lenses seem to be a good choice for most fishing conditions, i recieved a pair of Vermillion awhile back, suppose to work well in low/cloudy conditions. I used to wear Vermillion a 100 years ago when i shot trap/skeet in the clouds, can't wait to try them.
Mentioned also, frames, they are like rods, if they don't feel right, why would you buy them, mentioned also, all makers have some good glasses, get one that fit's your face(pumpkinhead in my case)

Grumpy
Old 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Cocoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
The more I think about it, the better those Cocoons sound.
I can highly recommend the Cocoons! Daniel scrounged me up a pair in Yellow and now I can't fish without them. The yellow is especially good at brightening low light levels in the early morning or late afternoon (and at my age, I can use all the additional light I can get!). I wear prescription glasses and the fit-over idea is what sold me. I spent some bucks earlier this past summer on polarized custom clip-ons for my glasses and they work fine in the mountains... they just don't work so well on tailwaters where you have a big expanse of water/glare. The Cocoons (I think they're the "aviator" style) are designed as more of a sun shield, so they cut down on the glare coming from the sides. I'll occasionally wear them over my custom clip-ons during the brightest mid-day sun and that works out fine also.

They're also very lightweight - I was surprised at just how light they are. I added a camo Croakie and use that to keep them snugged up tight so that they eliminate more of that side glare. I usually can't stand that sort of thing - snugged up tight - but with these I don't even notice it.

I'd really recommend the yellow lens. Takes a bit of getting used to, but the brightening of available low light levels is great. The only drawback to the yellow lens is a strange peripheral coloration at very low light levels. I've noticed that, just before dark, the water in the outer edges of my field of vision seems to take on a blood-red cast... a little disconcerting at first, but at that point in time I'm usually just trying to wade out and not trying to fish. So as long as I can still see the streambed in front of me, I'm good to go!

Gerry