Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Orvis Tailwaters Wading Jacket

I am in need of a good wading jacket. Anyone have this jacket? Likes / dislikes? I have also looked at Simms, they are nice but pricey. This jacket is 198 bucks, your thoughts.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 AM

if you can wear a medium, LRO has a patagonia wading jacket for 40% off of $200, so it'd be $120. patagonia's stuff runs large usually. I typically wear large in just about anything, but I have a different jacket of theirs, and it's a medium. I'd jump all over that, if I actually needed it.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM

For the price, it's hard to beat. It has a feature or two that my $300 wading jacket should have
The folks that i've talked to wearing them have no complaint's.

Grumpy
Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Take a look at

I have the Columbia Queets River jacket and it is great. Cost is $99. I know 2 other guys with it an dthey love it too. Also, take a look at LL Bean's Emerger at $89.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:03 PM

I realize it isn't the same Orvis coat ( assume at the price you are asking about the Tailwaters "No Sweat") but I have experience with the Tailwaters XT. I have fished frequently while wearing the Tailwaters XT coat in some fairly nasty conditions; everything from light drizzle to pouring rain, in temperatures from ~60 F down the mid-teens. I consider it wonderful with only one gripe--in pouring rain the casting arm sleeve/cuff will leak slightly and at the end of the day my casting arm will be damp from the wrist to the elbow. I haven't had any problem in mist or light to moderate rain, only when the rain is really soaking everything in sight, and then only on the sleeve/ cuff that gets pointed to the sky.

The coat keeps me nice & warm when needed, yet it also stays relatively cool when needed, which is very nice when the morning starts out frigid but then warms considerably as the day progresses.

The coat also has well proportioned pockets for fly boxes and the usually "stuff".

Whether the above has any relevance to the Tailwater jacket I don't know, but perhaps it will prove useful information to consider.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Patagonia

I bought a Patagonia SST about 15 years ago. It started leaking about 3 years ago. Byronat LRO recommended I return it to Patagonia. I thought they might refinish it. Nope. Sent me a brand new SST. No questions asked. Patagonia is serious about customer satisfaction. Great jacket.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM

I've been wearing them for a few years now and they are really nice jackets. They stay drier than most of the others I've worn. Pockets are nice and they even have some felt lined pockets which are awesome when your hands are cold and wet.

Only fault is, as previously mentioned, if your out in the rain all day, your elbows will be damp. I suppose if your non rand hand is down most of the time it will stay dry. I however, have both arms holding oars most of the day so both of my arms get wet on those all day rains.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Wading Jacket

Thanks,guys, for all of the input on the wading jacket. I think I have decided that I want Mrs.Claus to get the Orivs jacket for my Christmas present. I plan to be in Townsend this weekend for the advanced fly tying class. I think Little River Outfitters can take care of this for Mrs. Claus.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 AM

monktrout, that's great to hear. I've heard similar stories of excellent customer service with patagonia. that's one reason I buy alot of their stuff.

I've also read a post on here or another thread from someone who had some orvis waders for many years and received a brand new pair after they ripped theirs (their own fault).