Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Brookville Indiana

Went fishing at Brookville tailwaters today. It was 60 here in the Cincinnati area and thought this may be the last opportunity in a while.

Fishing wasn't great, but I did manage 3 browns. The smallest was 10" and the largest was 16". Nice fat healthy fish.

Believe it or not, I caught them on yellow and black woolie buggers (size 10). I tried several nymphs and assorted hares ears, but nothing was working. I thought I may as well see if a bugger bouncing off the bottom would do anything. That was the ticket for today.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Hey Jeff ?

Did you fish near the city park? How was the water flow? I hope to get up there after Christmas.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 AM

FLYFSN,
I started in the park and moved upstream to just behind the VFW hall and concrete plant. The fish I caught were in this section.

The flow is swift. It was about 3.8 feet and anything over 4 is too dangerous to wade. One has to watch his step as the water is moving swiftly and the rocks are slick. I didn't fall but I really had to watch where I put my feet.

Other than being careful, it was fine. The fishing was slow but 3 decent browns are nothing to sneeze at.

Here's a link to the Brookville water gauge. Check it out before you drive up. I see it's 4.03 tonight which is getting to the point I wouldn't wade. You may be OK if you're sure footed and watch the step.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/in/nwis/uv?site_no=03276000

Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks, Jeff, for the info. Water gauge very helpful.