Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Default LR Is Rolling!!!

Anyone else been checking the stream gauge? Looks like the fishing might be tough but that's a good thing for a change... Radar estimates in the highest elevations of the park indicate that as much as 2-3 inches of rain has fallen over the last 24 or so hours in some areas...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Default And it is climbing

Height gauge shows 3.5' and climbing. Tomorrow will be a tailwater day for me.

David,
I got the pics, thanks man.

Travis
Old 12-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Looks like it crested at a little over 4 feet...I don't think I've ever seen it that high, since I've been visiting this site. Of course, this doesn't mean the end of the drought - it will take several months to get out of it - but this is very encouraging. If the mountains have a normal wet winter, this spring ought to be very nice.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:36 AM

Default No Regrets

I was kind of hoping for one last fling at the park tomorrow but I would rather have the rain. Bring it on. I had seen the report of around 3.75 ft earlier and thought it must surely be a mistake. The kayakers will definitely be out tomorrow!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Also...

Anybody else notice that the days are getting longer now?? March Browns and Quill Gordons can't be far behind....

Hey, a minute here... a minute there and pretty soon you've got a whole extra day. Just in time for leap year

Gerry
Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Days getting longer

More sun every day but the coldest days are ahead of us. Never did make much sense to me.

I believe that February 29 will be a gift of a fishing day this year. When you get an extra day offered, what better way to spend it than on the stream?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Yes, the days are slowly but surely getting longer. The reason why there is a "lag" between the astronomical start of winter and the actual coldest (on average) days in January is the tendency of the atmosphere, like any other body of water, to retain heat; of course, the opposite effect also occurs - when the more direct sunlight returns in the spring, it takes a while for the temperatures to catch up. It is the reason why fog is so common in the fall and spring near large bodies of water; in the fall, the water tends to be warmer than the land, which responds to temperature changes more quickly...in the spring, the opposite occurs, with the land warming up quicker than the water.

It's tough for me to lay off coming up to the mountains until spring, but this year is a bit unique, at least locally, with the calendar of major events breaking things up a bit and making the time go by faster. We're almost at New Year's, then there's the National Championship game...before you know it, it will be Super Bowl Sunday, then two days after that, the conclusion of the Carnival season with Mardi Gras (very early this year - 5 February). With Mardi Gras falling so early, so does Easter (46 days later, to be exact). With Easter comes the following week off for the kids - so towards the end of March, we'll be back in the Smokies.

Anyway, that sounds a lot better than three months.