Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Heber, AR "The Little Red River"

I'll be headed back to Heber, Arkansas with my wife and my Dad after Christmas. My Aunt has a house right on the Little Red River. I haven't been back there in over a year. My own dream is to have a place like hers only it would be in East, TN, North, GA, or Western, NC. It's the greatest thing to walk off of the back porch and within 50 yards you're in the water.

The last time I was there I had a tough time choosing flies. I'm sure I'll be using nymphs of somekind. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should take?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Bunny Strip matukas!!!!!!! Black, Natural, White and Olive ON clear sink tip line. Fish right over the top of the grass with 3x flouro.Cast down and across then slowly strip. I suggest a 6wt or heavier due to the grass. Escpecially in Jan, Feb. Woolies will work too but they hit the fish imitations so much harder.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Little red

Fished the Little Red a lot during the four years I lived in memphis. This time of year can be tough post spawn, but midges and sow bugs should work. Not much acess if you don't have a boat, but swinging bridge can hold some nice fish. You can also rent a boat for the day at Lobo Landing and head down river to mossy shoals. Mossy is one of the best shoals on the river and holds good fish all year. Chris Butts is the owner at Lobo Landing and he is a good friend of mine. He might be able to help you out if you have any questions. Just google Lobo Landing trout resort and you should find their website. Also the Little Red River Fly Shop located right beside swinging bridge would have information for you. They also have a website with a fishing report. You should also check out flyfishingarkansas.com , John Wilson's site has a forum with a link for the little red river as well as predicted generation. You really want know the generation till that day because the army corps of engineers does not release the next days generation. Hopes this helps and have a great trip.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks guys. I can fish the river from a neighbors dock if the water is up. My aunt also has a floater that I can use. She's down stream of the bridge right on the water if my memory serves me correctly. My Dad and I shop at the Little Red River fly shop there. I've got some tackle that we bought when we were there and I also have a hat from that shop. The guys there were very helpful with info. They seemed to be a lot like LRO which was good in my eyes.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Well I went to the Little Red River over the new years and didn't get to fish it. The Army Core of Engineers had the dam on 2 generators for over a week. They're nothing like the TVA. At least TVA puts out a generation schedule. So, since we couldn't fish there we drove up to the White River and the NorFork river and dam. We fished there for a whole day. I had a few strikes on a wooly booger but due to the wind advisory I couldn't get the line to do what I wanted. I also lost my sunglasses so I couldn't see through the water very well. At times the wind was so strong you couldn't tell where the current was flowing. My Aunt did get into a good spot up by the "twin islands" and caught a couple right away when I suggested the wooly booger. We had a great time and the river up there is soooo wide. The wind was the biggest struggle. I couldn't get the technique down to make the fly act natural in the water. It was still fun though!! I wouldn't change any of it.