Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Smoky Mountain Spring Water

I read Byron's fishing report for yesterday and saw the remark about the spring "pipe" up on the Tremont Road....I know this spring well...this is where my grandfather and I would break for lunch on those days when we fished the Middle Prong....some sweet water comes from that pipe....and I never to this day have gotten sick....in the old days there used to be several of these around with the storied rifle barrels used to extract the water....when I was very yound several times a summer the water supply in Sevierville would fail...meaning the taps would run the color of the local mud....and we would pile into the car with all the picnic jugs and head for the nearest spring tap...back then it was a spring off the Wears Valley road just outside Pigeon Forge....I know all the warnings these days about the bad "bugs" in the water but when you can find some of the good water from the mountains there is nothing that tastes any better...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM

Rog,

Can you tell me exactly where the spring is located? I'd love to taste the water. Back home here in Ohio, we have what we call Artesian wells. It's water that bubbles up out of the ground that someone usually puts a 6 inch pipe into that stands about 2 feet above the ground. Great tasting water! Would love to sample some pure mountain water!

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 AM

The spring I remember is up the Tremont road on the Middle Prong...it was above the institute after the road turns to gravel....the pipe will be on the right hand side of the road heading up the river....there is a pull off there ... the pipe is not marked so you will just have to look for it...the area aroiund the spring is usually wet which is a give away....with all the rain lately there should be a pretty good flow....let me know if you find it what you think...nice place for a snack...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

As you drive up the gravel road above the Institute, look for roadside markers. They're short, square posts painted park-service brown and numbered. I haven't figured out the sequence yet, but they're not mile (or specific distance) markers as far as I can tell. Look for number four. The spring pipe is right at number four which makes it very handy when you're coming back from a hike up Lynn Camp.

Gerry
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Rog1,
Here's another thread talking about the same thing with some additional information (including pictures).
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9671

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks....missed that post but enjoyed the photos...that is the one I remember....I did see where the old pipe has now been modernized with some of our man made plastics.....that is some sweet water....brings real meaning to the old term "branch and bourbon"