Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Question Yesterday's Fishing Report

Bryon,

In yesterdays fishing report you indicated that something is coming because critters were not out and several cows were laying down. My experience with hunting and just general observation is that animals are more active prior to approaching bad weather rather than less active. Maybe they had been up all night eating and were just tired. Or, they were just too cold. Do you think the cow standing factor is an accurate measure in winter? Maybe you need to develop a way to factor the air temp into the calculation. I love the cow standing factor. I wish I could have used that when I was a teenager at home. Dad, we can't work cows today. The cow standing factor is too low. Or dad, we can't pick up hay today. The cow standing factor is too low. If the cows are resting, we should as well. I don't think he would have gone for that, but it would have been good conversation. Can you tell I am bored at work?

Can't wait to come to the tying class Saturday.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 01-16-2008 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM

Don,

You are right. I have always found animals and fish to be more active before a storm. They seem to know what is coming, get active and feed. I'll tell you about one observation concerning cows. These cows here don't lay down much. Paula and I went to Fall Creek Falls this summer to fish for a couple of days on the lake. We saw whole herds of cattle laying down on our way there. The fishing was of course horrible.

I look forward to seeing you Saturday. It looks like the roads are going to be OK unless there is a change unseen by the NWS. We are a phone call or a click away. Have a safe trip over here.

Byron
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Default I did it again!

Byron,

I am sorry. I misspelled your name again. I am just so accustom to writing Bryan - my youngest son's name. Sorry!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Cool Today's Fishing Report

Byron,

There, I got it correct this time. Regarding the tying events, I think the DVD is a good idea. Also, I don't know how they do it, but I watch videos on the R L Winston site. You might ask those guys how they are able to do it. They have many, many videos on their site. Just a thought!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Don,

No problem with the name spelling. Everybody does it. I have an unusual first name.

I forgot about the Winston site. I'll check it out again. Thanks for the tip.

Byron
Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Byron --

Here's a link I sent Daniel regarding the Oliver Edwards Caddis Legs. In the left hand column, toward the bottom of the links on this page is a link to their collection of fly tying videos. It's just listed as videos. The first video is a bio of Jan Siman and that's followed by about 7 or 8 fly tying videos. You can skip the bio by hovering your mouse over the bottom third of the video. Up pops a scroll assortment of fly videos. They're all done "You-Tube" style and run anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes in length. Some wide overview cover shots and a lot of close work. Simple but effective.

http://shop.siman.cz/index.html?pod=/_sd_cale.htm

Gerry