Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Default Smokies in January

Didn't even read the fishing report before running up to the park this morning. I knew what Byron would say about the fishing prospects. But what a beautiful day to be in the mountains. I spent about an hour and a half scouting out a new stream (water temp of 40.2 so everybody was asleep), wet the line, lost a fly and had a ball.

Seems there's not a bad time to go to the Smokies regardless of whether the fish are hitting or not.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

I know what you mean. I know fishing is very slow this time of year but I love the park in the winter months. I'm coming up soon knowing that I will most likely get skunked, but a day in the river is a great day - fish or no fish.
steve
Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Charlie I think your right. There's never a bad time to be in the smokies. Actually, winter has become one of my favorite times to be in the mountains. The crowds are all gone-mostly, & if your like me fishing during a time of year when the fish aren't active almost adds and increased feeling of slowing down and relaxing that can be nice. Then again, maybe its that ole macho-"can't call yourself a real fishermen unless your out in January when everyone else is sitting inside by the fire & thus seperating real men from the boys stuff. I'm thinking for me its likely a bit of both. I've fished with alot of guys who talk about how they do it to relax but when where out there in May and fishing is suppossed to be great they become some of the most aggressive styled fishermen I know & I'm probably much the same.

Later,
Chad
Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 AM

My biggest motivation for getting up there was that I can't stand the thought of waiting two more months to be on the stream. And there's always that outside chance (kind of like buying a lottery ticket) that you'll wake one of those buggers up from its long winters nap for a little snack. Of course, my lost fly to fish caught ratio gets pretty high this time of year but there's more where those came from at LRO. And when you get to plough some new ground that you can visit again when it warms up, all the better.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com