Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Fish Camp Prong ?

I was just sitting here trying to plan some camping trips and looking on my map at some new streams to try this year. Fish camp prong is a stream I've been wanting to hike to for a while. Does any one now the best way to hike to that stream? I'm probably going to camp at Elkmont as that seems like a good centeral location which may make it easy to change my game plan due to weather, large crowds & etc... I'm thinking you can get there from Elkmont but I've also heard folks mention treking down to it from some where
near Clingmans though I may be mistaken. I think there is a backcountry camp site near fish camp prong, should I consider this or will Elkmont be close enough to reach stream and alow plenty of water time before needing to leave to get back?

Thanks in advance!
Chad
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbsnagger View Post
I think there is a backcountry camp site near fish camp prong, should I consider this or will Elkmont be close enough to reach stream and alow plenty of water time before needing to leave to get back?

Thanks in advance!
Chad
How fast of a hiker are you? I've fished lower Fish Camp on a daytrip and found that it isn't a problem at all. For me, this kind of a daytrip (4-6 miles each way) usually means a one to two hour hike and then fish for 4-5 hours and hike back out. The trail up there from Elkmont is easy...the only hard part is passing all the great water along the way...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks David. I didn't realize it was just 2 hours hike from Elkmont. Thought this might be a good stream to try with Lynn Camp closed for brookie restoration. Just curious what time of year have you been on fish camp. Wondering if this stream should be considered during periods of heavy precipitation or does it get blown out easy in the spring?

Chad
Old 01-22-2008, 02:21 PM

I like fishing up there just about any time of the year. Also, you should be able to hike to the lower end of Fish Camp in about an hour...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 PM

Now you've got my juices flowing....my favorite stream in the Park....from the gate above the Elkmont campground it is 3.7 miles to FCP....they now have a steel footbridge over the river where when I first started fishing up there you had to wade the river to get to the trail....there is a backcountry site a little more than 2 miles up FCP where the Goshen Prong comes in...this is the trail that come down off of the Dome....this is campsite 23.....I usually camp at 24 on Rough Creek which is .5 mile further up the LR trail....from here I can fish all of FCP w/o that initial hike in....during high water the flow is about cut in half once you reach the fork of the river....higher up beyond 24 is another site which I grew up knowing as the 3 Fork area....if the river is blown out you can also have fun up Rough Creek.....I have had great fishing on FCP from mid April through October....great dry fly fishing and you can find just about any type of water you want....used to be some huge trout in some of the lower pools but they were big for a reason....you will pass up some great water getting there so just put on your blinders and think about something else....I have hiked in and fished to the fork of Goshen in a day but it was a full day....7 to 7....that's why I like to set up a base camp at 24 and give myself a couple of days to fish that whole area .
Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Question

What maps are you guys using to plan your trips, and where did you get them?
I am needing to get a new map with campsites and rivers shown on it.
Thanks,
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM

Default check out the NPS map

Flyfishjeep,

check out the National Park Service trail map at www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf
This gives you the opportunity to zoom in and take a close look.
Remember it is a trail map not a stream map, but I have found it to be pretty accurate.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Man in one hour? You guys are awesome. It is 3.7miles from Elkmont to the mouth of Fish Camp Prong.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
Man in one hour? You guys are awesome. It is 3.7miles from Elkmont to the mouth of Fish Camp Prong.
I usually hustle pretty quick when I'm going fishing, just can't wait to get there... Going the other direction, I've often found myself fishing late and hurrying to get out before dark... Last spring I was passing #24 on my way back down after fishing for several hours with only about a half an hour of daylight left. That was probably the fastest trip I've made... When I'm by myself, I generally try to maintain a 4 mph pace but usually slow down a bit when I'm with others...

Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey guys thanks alot for the info. Think I might try to add site 24 to my back country trip list. Already planing camping up by Injun creek site Sam Macdonald was referring to in another thread. I suppose I could start another thread on this one but how many back country overnighters do you fellas get in a year? Myself , 3 at the most due to work schedule and married life etc.. I shoot for one during late spring/early summer and then shoot for a couple late summer and fall. I'll probably still hunker down @ Elkmont when it opens up to spend time down on little river/treemont/and on over to greenbriar. Kind of planning a big spring camp fish 3 day event in late April. I'm type of fella that likes to pick just a couple streams and a tailwater for the year and tries to learn them as best as I can. Greenbriar & fish camp prong are shapeing up to be two strong possibilities. Probably will stick with the Cumby for tailwater this year but thats all tentative on what happens at the **** with construction and all. However, if somebody calls me up and says lets head to the Clinch or Caney I probably wouldn't turn them down unless real life interfears.

As far as maps are concerned I mostly use the Smokey mountain park maps available through the park service. Also got some topo maps that help me determin terrain and elevation drops but honestly my best resource has been from chating with folks who hike or fished in the smokies alot longer then I have such as some of the folks on the board. Maps can tell you a stream is there and a trail is there but you have to talk to fishermen to learn what the trail is like and how the streams tend to run at certain times of year.

If your looking for books with maps etc. I can recomend just a few. Hiking Trails of The Smokies put together by the Great Smoky Mountains Association will give you stream locations and trails leading to them with fairly good description of terrain. I'll cross reference that one with world of mouth if I can get it plus the park service maps. Honestly, at times thats probably been over kill but I'd rather be over prepaired then under prepaired.

Chad