Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Hazel Creek

I am giving serious thought to Hazel Creek this Spring (probably in May).
I am wondering just how much traffic does this creek get. I am especially interested in campsite #83, which I know requires a reservation but I don't know how many can really camp there. Where is most of the fishing pressure on this stream? I would think the middle section between campsite #84 and #82 would get most of the pressure (I don't know that that is officially the middle section that is just what I am calling it). I know that I want to spend at least one full day (maybe more) exploring Bone Valley.
Also, and I know that this may sound nuts to some people, but I will probably hike in. I have done quiet a bit of hiking from the tunnel at the end of "the road to nowhere". This is about a 15 mile hike, has anyone personally made this trip. I have never hiked the entire length, but I have done the first 9-10 miles to the top of Bear Creek Trail on another backpacking trip but that was a long time ago and I don't really remember the terrain. I know that Bear Creek Trail makes a pretty significant elevation gain. Looking at the map it might be easier (or at least shorter) to come in from Fontana Dam. Has anyone tried this, I've hiked to Eagle Creek but no further.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you have ever hiked in.
Also, which campsites have you stayed at #84, #83, #82; and how did you like that site? I will probably make it a Monday - Friday trip the 1st, 2nd or 3rd week of May.
Thanks,
Mike