Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM

hehehe, i'm selling a Zero Gravity to get the new 5 weight in a Tip Flex. I've cast 100's of rods over the years from every maker there is just about, the Helios is expensive, i believe it is money well spent.
After all, it's about the same price as 10 fill ups in the Hemi, i know i'll get a lot more out of the rod
I fished the 4 weight today, rather breezy, the 5 will handle those conditions better & it weighs less than a lot of 4 weights out there

Grumpy
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is quite a recommendation. The trick will now be getting my rods and reels sold. Do you think the tip will be forgiving enough for 6x-7x tippet on the 5wt tip flex?

Ed
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbrown View Post
Thanks for the reply. That is quite a recommendation. The trick will now be getting my rods and reels sold. Do you think the tip will be forgiving enough for 6x-7x tippet on the 5wt tip flex?

Ed
My rod, new gold LA reel came in yesterday, what a great looking combination
The Zero Gravity i have for sale is a 10.5 tip flex, i've only fished 6X on it since i bought it, it's a lot stiffer than the new 9.5 Helios or the 9.5 T3 that i have. I've fished 7X on the T3 a many a day with no problem, unless i caused it
The Helios does have a fast tip, yet it feels sensitive while casting, i'll have to wait til the weekend to give you a fishing report with it, arrgghhh.

Grumpy
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM

I'll agree with grumpy on the feel of the helios. It is stiff enough that i threw two nymphs with a couple pieces of split shot with absolutely no problem, but yet it still has a very soft feel to it. I know those two things don't really go together but somehow it does.

Craig
Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
I know those two things don't really go together but somehow it does.

Craig

scary isn't it

Grumpy
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Guys,

I really appreciate your input. My dear wife just looks at me and shakes her head when she sees the dreamy look in my eye while I check out the Orvis page. I did love the way the 5wt felt when I tried it.

My 13 yr old, is testing my 4wt and my 5wgt this weekend to determine if he wants to move up and donate his Browning to the cause. Somehow I lose ground in that trade but he is my fishing buddy and definitely at a skill level to move up.

If the weather looks good this weekend we may take the camper Edgar Evins and "drown a few worms" .

Ed
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Ed

There will be no lost ground on that trade, you'll come out way ahead with memories & good times, i'd say you're getting the best deal

Grumpy
Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 PM

I wouldn't have it any other way.