Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Question Do-it youself rod personalization?

Probably a silly, esoteric, idea...but I would like to put a little personal touch onto my fly rods.I would like to add my name to my humble collection of TFO Pros. Though they're not high-dollar, titanium and kevlar infused, gold plated, Plutonium enriched, Bamboo... They are mine, I am proud of them, I take care of them, and I'd like to make them special. (Pimp my Rod in other words)

I am a bit artistic(Art Grad), and was wondering how to add monograms to the shaft, and apply a protective finish over the personalization, without having to re-finish the entire rod. I am not sure which finish products would have a solvent effect on the factory finish. Any experience or suggestions? Google and FAOL were of no help.

Thanks in advance...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM

I have not done this per se, but I have used metallic markers bought from a craft store and then used spar varnish or rod finish. I did this on an aluminium tube which I put my name on. It should be the same principle. I don't think spar varnish or any of the commercially made rod finish products out there would do any harm to the blank.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Hey Plunker,

I was thinking of doing something similar with one of my saltwater spinning rods a while back, and was told you could use paints that would go on lexan RC car bodies. Interestingly enough, I found a thread on it. If you can airbrush, I think the possibilities are endless. Seems you can use krylon fusion paints also, along with krylon fusion epoxy spray to finish it. Sounds pretty easy. That lexan paint is very easy to work with, as I've painted a few nice RC car bodies. I don't know about using the krylon together with the lexan paint, that you may want to call krylon about.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=499881

Last edited by BoostBlitzen; 01-29-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: grammatical
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Blitz-n-Swede

I appreciate the advice.
As a matter of fact I do Airbrush, passingly fair, which was my intention...just needed a direction on paint...which you all provided so graciously. Given this, gonna go to the boat show this weekend, snap up some of the $5.00 cheapo spinning rods out the barrel and learn how to Pimp dat rod!

Reckon I can slap a 22" chrome spinner on it? With a neon lighted reel seat, an a HUGE Muffler out the butt cap?

I dare not go on........
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM

Ah-ha-ha! you could do that, but I don't think you'll catch much of anything! The trout will see you coming from a mile away! Would be funny to make it outlandish though...

Anyway, you should be able to find that paint at most hobby shops, and easily on-line. I'm sure you could use the Krylon epoxy over the lexan paint, but not the krylon paint in conjunction with the lexan paint, I just dont see them playing nice together, but I could be wrong.

That lexan paint is very durable, its got a crazy flex agent in it, and it has to. I've hit stuff with my RC touring car at speeds that shattered parts inside the car, and the lexan gets all dented in, but the paint never chips off...its good stuff.