Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

i simply approach the traffic blocker and ask him/her to pull over. they usually are obliging and somewhat chagrinned.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM

obviously the cove is a very popular spot and, as long as it's open to autos, there are going to be problems with traffic. when a car full of people sees an animal that they're not used to seeing, they're going to stop right in the middle of the road every time...with complete disregard to what anyone told them at the gate or the 50 cars behind them. it's just the way it is and, unfortunately, the reason myself and many others often avoid one of the best places in the park.

i would like to see the park charge a $10 fee and make more "bicycle only" time on the loop. ... ... and how about a ban on those trucks with couches in the back??
Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

enforcement just has to do the job on those pickups with the sofas.....park regs call for all passengers to wear seat belts. that would include those hanging out the sun roof, the sofa bubbas, and the people hanging out mini-van doors. only would support more bicycle only time if there were a total ban on them at all other times....i was there yesterday and at 2 pm, two kids and mother were dead tired and blocking traffic...and this is before the visitor center at the cable farm.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just venting here...

Went up to the Cove today, thought I'd give Abrams a try since I haven't been there in probably 15 years. I was quickly reminded why I haven't been there in the last fifteen years.

It was gray. It was rainy. And the loop road was loaded with tourists trying to see something that wasn't there. Took forever to just get to the Abrams parking area. Got geared up. Worked the stream from the bridge up toward the meadow for about a half mile in the rain. Had a herd of dear - about 25 strong - cross the stream about 20 yards upstream from my position... which I thought was kinda funny since I had just put up with about a half hour of all those slow moving visitors looking for them...

Got skunked. Worked my way back down to the bridge and headed out. Only one other car in the parking lot when I left. 5:23 pm and I'm thinking it's gonna be a breeze getting out of the Cove in the rain at 6 pm on Super Bowl Sunday. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I got behind a woman in a Plymouth Voyager who apparently was dyslexic. I'm sure she read those 20 mph signs as 02 mph. On downhill stretches she actually reached speeds of 10 mph! Get this though. She's got kids in the back (couldn't tell how many) and they're watching a movie on their own personal DVD players... So even if there had been some wildlife to see - in the rain - whoever was in the back would have had to pause their movie to actually see the aforesaid wildlife. Pity.

This chick would absolutely not pull over and let me pass. I mean, 5 miles per hour in Cades Cove, in the rain, at 6 pm on Super Bowl Sunday!?

We hit the loop road exit and we're headed back out of the Cove and what does she do? She pulls into the first right hand turn out and lets the entire convoy that's backed up behind her pass. Why she couldn't have done that in one of the forty or so turnouts in the cove I have no idea...

Oh yeah... no plates on the car and no temporary tag in the window either. But the van came from East Tennessee Nissan's used car lot on Clinton Highway - I spent about a half hour on her bumper reading that stupid dealer sticker on the back of the van. So she was a local. A brain dead, inconsiderate local who needs to have her license permanently revoked.

Nuff said.

Gerry
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Gerry,
There's only one cure for idiots and unfortunately, it's not something society can or will do.

I've been stuck behind people like her in the cove before. I've also been stuck behind ones like her on the interstate that think they have to drive 3 mph when two snowflakes are in the air.

They're everywhere, not just in the cove.

Jeff.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Unfortunately, a visit to Cades Cove has become nothing more than a reminder that the entire Ohio population has never seen a Deer.

Please forgive my cynicism

when they were taking public suggestions on the traffic situation, I wrote that the loop road should be hikers or bikers only and the Tram be reserved for the physically challenged (or Anglers trying to get to Abram's)......

but tourism is business so......
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Cades Cove

Only saw one thing that might be doable on a short term basis, and it may already be in effect. Someone mentioned not stopping on the way in to put some money in the donation box for fear of being passed. What if the donation box were on the way out of the Cove? And maybe just before a speed bump that would require a stop? And after a big (eco-friendly of course) sign that put a big guilt trip on those who did not ante-up? On the way in there might be informational lit that had a charge to get, also in front of the speed-bump, etc. As far as other suggestions, all would help, if there were political will to so do. As I recall, the only vehicles allowed into Grand Canyon are for hikers with permits and those with reservations for spending the night. Day-trippers must use the trams. Unfortunately we are loving our parks to death; appears to me we take some nominal steps now to avoid draconian measures when the trees all start to die. Watson
Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Last time I was on the Loop road there was a a young volunteer on a mountain bike with a radio. He would come around me when the traffic stops and tell the people to move on, then keep them away from the wildlife. Then he would move on to the next stop traffic. He had to be in great shape. One fool drove through a field to get around the traffic, the little guy on the bike got on his radio. When I got to the pull off at the mill a law enforcement ranger was writing the fool a ticket in the parking lot.
The way I understand it, is that the money raised by the Great Smokey Mountain Asst. (Book sales and Donations) all the profits goes to the park and some of that is being used to help fund additional Law enforcement. Get a membership and help the park. I personally am on my third year installment for a life time membership. $125 for 4 years. If your willing to pay $30 for a yearly entry fee, pay the $35 for a yearly membership.
On thing that has not been mentioned is safety. I was on roaring fork motor trail when the was an accident, I could hear the ambulance for 30 min. before it came around me, and I had to break the law to let it around by putting the truck in 4wd and climbing a bank to give it room. I rented a bike in Cades Cove on year and was informed that an accident would involve a life flight ride
because it would take too long to get an ambulance to you.
I wish I knew the answer, I would not ride a tram to fish. Just sight seeing? Maybe.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 PM

I think a key for trams to be successful is frequency (every 30 minutes?) and the ability to board and get off at will. For example, get off at one of the churches, look around and then hop on the next tram, and get off at the next stop. If you want to fish, get off at Abrams parking lot, and then hop on later in the day to go back to Townsend or G'burg.

If you can't get on and off at will, then the trams are probably going to meet more resistance than it's worth.. Also, private cars would have to be banned totally.

I'm not sure if it would work, but done right it may be a good thing.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Deer

Not the best job of photography, but I thought y'all might want to see what all those slow moving vehicles were looking for.

This first one was a quick shot I tried to get as the herd was crossing a small upstream channel in the rain. They weren't moving all that quickly, however they surprised me and I wasn't quite ready to take pictures.

I took this one directly across from me after about half of the herd had crossed the upstream channel. Kinda hard to find all of 'em, but I counted twelve deer in this one after I took it.

Tried to zoom in on one looking at some old fool who was standing very still, up to his a$$, in the middle of Abrams Creek.

I think the auto flash must have gone off! Either that or this was one of those alien deer that were mysteriously dropped into the Cove back in the 60's

One critter I din't get a shot of was the Blue Heron I stumbled into. I had reversed direction and fished a few hundred yards below the bridge before I quit for the day. As I was wading my way back out - in the now heavy rain - I fished right up to a Blue Heron perched on a rock in the middle of the creek. I thought for sure he'd spook and take off, but he apparently didn't like the idea of flying in the rain. Can't say as I blame him. He wouldn't budge, so I told him I was just passing through. He kinda looked at me as if to say, "Are you that same old fool who was up to his a$$ in the middle of the creek taking pictures that those deer told me about??" I looked him straight in the eye and said, "Yes, sir, that would have been me. "

Then I turned and waded to the bank, climbed up to the trail and left him to his rock.

Gerry